Recommend me a 4-string bass for sub $400

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by donalddemon, Feb 27, 2010.

1. donalddemon

donalddemon

Feb 26, 2010
    Asbury, NJ
    Hi all, this is my first post.

I am a guitar player (15 years) but I would like to purchase my first bass for home recording and also for my bassist to use when he comes over to jam. My budget is $300 +/- some.

I think I like P-Basses best, judging on what I had played. The Jazz bass neck seemed to thin (I have big hands). I tend to like the classic looks best too, not a fan of the modern Ibanez/Schecter/Carvin basses at all.

So here's what I have been considering so far:

Rondo/SX/Douglas P-Bass
    Squier Vintage Modified
    Squier Classic Vibe
    Squier MIJ P-Bass
    Fender MIM P-Bass
    Peavey T-40
    Ibanez Roadster

Any suggestions and am I on the right path? Is there any other deals for that price out there I should be looking into? Any help is appreciated!

2. Hey Dude I say play what feels good, if I had to pick from the list I would go w/ the MIJ P Bass (as long as it felt right)..At least with a Fender if you need to fix it down the road, you'll have an easier time finding parts etc. I have a chinese peavey that i use as a cheap backup but that's all it is, CHEAP. i hope this helps

3. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    i can personally attest to the VM jazz being a bleepin' awesome bass. if it were me i'd go VM P or classic vibe P if you want a P

4. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    In that price range I'd save up a little longer and try to find a Yamaha BB model or Peavy Fury. Both can be had for around $350-450 on average (used); and both are constructed well and sound good (IMO)

MF sells a new Yamaha BB614 Active 4-String Bass for $450 if your unable to locate a used bass.

If you can find a vintage Ibanez Roadster that would be a decent choice as well.

5. caribconsult

caribconsult

Jun 8, 2009
    You might want to check out the Mexican-made Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass...it's around $500, but it has active pickups, low, mid and high tone controls, and it's a real Fender. I have one and it sounds as good as the US model, which is more than twice the price. You might get lucky and find one on EBay for much less.

6. donalddemon

donalddemon

Feb 26, 2010
    Asbury, NJ
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I need to restate that I really need to keep it in the $300-350 range because I shouldn't even buying one in the first place but I am tired of contemplating it!

Pretty sure I want to stick to a P-bass type too. I like the bigger necks.

7. donalddemon

donalddemon

Feb 26, 2010
    Asbury, NJ
    Never considered Yahama before. Thanks!

8. donalddemon

donalddemon

Feb 26, 2010
    Asbury, NJ
    Yeah I don't want to just get a cheap guitar I want something cheap that's some decent quality. The Squiers felt pretty decent to me surprisingly.

9. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Play the instrument locally before you buy it in this price range. You might be able to find an axe that feels great for $50; but you'll handle alot of bad ones too.

The reason so many people are saying save up another $150 is because it A: takes two days work and B: opens up alot more quality choices for your picking.

Of the instruments you've mentioned I'd be looking for the Peavy or Ibanez used and locally.

10. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
  11. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    If the Squire provides what you need/want then go for it.

IME, Ive found the quality/tone of Squires to be hit or miss. The more you are able to test them, the better off you will be.

Yeah, I do like the older Yamaha BB's; ( something I picked up from Carlton Barret, from the Wailers) and there are other models in the BB line that one can find, that sell for less than the price range I mentioned. It just takes a little bit of luck and or patience to find one. Just stay away from the RBX line unless you like to gamble.

IME, Nightlyraider's observation is spot on. On average the jump in quality from the sub $300 range closer to the $400-450 range is worth the effort.

12. ddshelden

ddshelden

Oct 31, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Squier Classic Vibe 60's P. I just got one and i love it.It's right in your price range.

13. Major +1 to the Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe. Play both, see what you like. Some actually like them more than their Fender MIM counterparts. Rock on man! P-Basses are where it's at!

14. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I just bought a MIJ Squire 1983 for $269.00 from Guitar Centers in California. Great Bass, and I would also suggest a used Ibanez Roadstar II. They are solid basses and any time you buy used you get MORE for your $$$$$. A Mexican Precision is a good buy too. I prefer the early 1990's models you can usually get them in the $250-300.00 price range.

Good Luck!!! in your adventure

15. Squier CV or VM P-Bass. You can test ride'em at most GC's.

SX P's are worth consideration. I have only had one in my hands for less than a minute but it was nice and the cost leaves room for alot of mods, ie; P/ups, hipshot drop d tuner.
    If its for recording and jamming who cares what label is on the headstock.

16. donalddemon

donalddemon

Feb 26, 2010
    Asbury, NJ
    Cool, I'm glad to see a lot of love for the Squiers because it's definitely in the realm of what I am looking for. I'm actually taking a trip to GC in about an hour to test drive a few. Too bad I'm not much of a bass player!

I figure if I find one and take it home I still have 30 days to scour the used/classified and return the Squier if I find a better deal. I have no problem buying used and am not concerned what make the guitar is, just that is plays well and sounds good.

I realize that if I wait to spend the money I can find more bass for the cost used but don't forget I am a guitarist....that money will burn a hole in my pocket and I will have another pedal before I even make it to look at a bass! :D

17. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    hey as one of the many guitarists-turned-bassists here i can tell you...

bass is more fun in a band. no, seriously. just let a CV or VM get its hooks in you...

18. donalddemon

donalddemon

Feb 26, 2010
    Asbury, NJ
    LOL...NO WAY! Everyone knows guitars get all the chicks anyways. The bass player....gets to play bass. LOL

I keed. :hyper:

19. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    I KEED! I KEED!
    [​IMG]

20. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021