1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend me a compressor please :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mr. Metal Smith, Mar 24, 2009.

1. I'm looking for a compressor (primarily for live and rehearsal situations) to even out my sound a bit and give me more presence.

I play thrash and death metal tuned in D standard.

To me a compressor should help me when I for example make an occational weak pulloff and prevent loud sound spikes. I still want to be able to accentuate certain notes a bit so I think that what I'm looking for is a medium compression ratio (or mild to moderate).

I will try to describe what I'm looking for sound-wise:

- If the very deepest frequencies are rolled of a bit it is not a big concern for me (if this tightens up the sound)

- I am looking for a sound that cuts through in a band setting with 2 guitars (I play fingerstyle and I'm looking for an articulate sound)

I currently use a Boss LMB-3, but I think that it removes some of my attack and makes the sound muddy.

I have spent a lot of time at www.ovnilab.com (very good compressor review site) and from what I've read, I was thinking that the EBS Multicomp, Maxon CP9 Pro+, a DBX unit, Symetrix 501 or Rane DC24 could be what Im looking for, unless there is some unit that I have overlooked.

Given the musical style and my sound preferences, what would you recommend? :bassist:

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Is it possible for you to take your bass a music store to try some comps out?

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    EBS Multicomp

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    IMO, the Demeter Compulator is your best bet. Of the comps I've tried it has the best peak limiting with the least tone coloration. It really is the best pedal comp for a transparent, level-controlling approach.

However, it should be noted that I sold mine because I wanted something with a little more color. Just ordered a Barge RC-3, hopefully it will do what I need.

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Ask bongo

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think the BBE Opto Stomp is a pretty good live pedal compressor. In the studio I might go another direction, but Ihave used it live with pretty good success.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I appreciate the vote of confidence, but 99% of what I have to say is on the website. :)

8. Krause

Krause

Mar 17, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Depends on if you want a pedal compressor or a rackmount.

For a pedal compressor I would look at the EBS Multicomp.

And rackmount the Ashly CLX-52 (works great for me).

9. Yes, but the problem is that, of the comps I mentioned being interested in, only the EBS Multicomp is available to test so I can't really compare it to any of the others.

10. I don't care if it is a pedal or rack unit :)

The only other effect I plan on adding will be some kind of overdrive/distortion/fuzz. This will most likely be a pedal though.

11. moonbass-de

moonbass-de Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Try the 4 knob Keeley - best compressor pedal ever in my opinion!

12. Well it seems like I only got 2-3 options of what to get because all is not available for me here.

An EBS MultiComp at 236 $ (new)
    or
    A DBX 1066 at 362 $ (used)
    or
    maybe A Maxon CP9 Pro+ at 308 $ (new, which I can't try before buying)

So that has simplified things a bit for me. Thanks to all who replied :)

I think I will get the EBS MultiComp or the DBX 1066 because from what I've read, they fatten/thicken up the tone as well as adding compression.