Recommend me some strings (single coil p bass content!)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassistjoe93, May 4, 2012.

1. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I know this has probably been done to death but I'm gonna ask anyway!

Ok, recently acquired a Sting signature P Bass on a trade. So far, I'm really liking it. However I put my usual steel round wound SR2000's on it and they just don't fit. It's just too honky and bright.

I want a string that gives me some nice fat but defined bottom, but still retains some brightness. I was thinking maybe trying some Chromes? Unfortunately I don't have tons of money to test out different strings but I was curious if some single coil bass players in particular could recommend me some strings.

Thanks!
    Joseph

2. I would probably use flat wounds on a 50's style p-bass like that. Maybe try some La Bella's

3. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    +1
    Just what I was going to write.

4. bassistjoe93

Sep 14, 2011
    I thought about flats but the only flats I've tried were fender flatwounds that I wasn't too impressed with. I know La Bellas are popular around here, but I'm not sure I want the thuddy thunk a dunk sound. Do they still retain good low end definition without being muddy?

As you can tell, I'm totally inexperienced with flatwounds :)

5. Sounds like CHROMES are what you're after. Full and warm with clean & bright articulation on top. (.045 - .100 set)

6. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Look into some GHS Precision Flats. Good definition but maybe a bit darker than you're looking for. Still, they're a great match for a PBass. Another direction to go if you want to lighten up the tone a bit are the GHS Pressure Wounds. They're a midpoint step towards a round.

Very mellow and very expressive but lacking in any kind of round wound zing and they're a much quieter string than a round but still retain some round wound feel and upper mid brightness to them. I use them on my Jazz Bass and they are truly the best match I've ever had on any Fender Bass I've owned.

Through bassstringsonline.com they'd run you about $20 a set with TB member pricing.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You pretty much described DR Sunbeams. Huge bottom end, nice clear top end without being harsh or zingy. Chromes (or any other flat) were too dead and thuddy for me.

Another good choice would be GHS Pressurewounds. A less bright than Sunbeams, but more lively than flats.

8. Tobias Wilcox

Tobias Wilcox Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    I use Ernie Ball 110 flats on my 51 re-issue. I love the feel and tone that I get from these without all the tension of some other flats.

9. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

Mar 15, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    +1

10. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    TI Jazz Flats sound beautiful on my 51 reissue; defined, musical sounding, last forever, and very easy to play.

11. Derek DiFilippo

Derek DiFilippo

Jun 9, 2005
    Hi Joseph,

"It's just too honky and bright."
    "I'm not sure I want the thuddy thunk a dunk sound."

It's hard to recommend flats without knowing the player. It's all a question of personal taste in sound and feel. There are lots of good ones out there. None of them are single-coil specific, I would say.

Based on what you've said I think the TI jazz flats would be a good starting point... as long as you are cool with giving them a month or so to break in. It took me a while to get used to them but now I'm hooked.

The truth is: I have a drawer with two sets of Labella Flats, a set of Chromes, a set of Pyramids, some Fender nickel roundwounds, & a set of GHS tapewound strings. Every once in a while I switch things up to get super specific or to just refresh my hands & ears. Overall the TIs are my current favorite.

Good luck!

12. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Oct 21, 2011
    Dean Markley Blue Steels - Can't go wrong in my opinion!

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I was going to say the same thing.
    If you want a even brighter sound try the new Fender 9050's. They were to bright for me.

14. bassistjoe93

Sep 14, 2011
    Hey thanks for the response guys! I've got some reading and research to do for sure. They all sound like they could work, wish I had the spare $$ to try em all! I'm guessing my ideal string would be really smooth sounding without being thuddy or losing definition, I realize I'm all over the place with my vague descriptions so for that I apologize! :)

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nah, you're not all over the place. Your description is pretty simple...DR Sunbeams or GHS Pressurewounds!

Sunbeams can get brighter and will be lower tension.
    Pressurewounds will be smoother and higher tension.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    This is what I'm hearing too. Not on opposite ends of the spectrum but enough difference to give you a clear choice between them.

17. GHS Brite Flats
    D'Addario Half Rounds

18. tomana

tomana

Apr 12, 2012
  19. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    On my SCPB it's Sunbeams or bust. They do what I want. I can play them soft or attack them viciously. They're very organic, and are quite capable.

20. bassistjoe93

Sep 14, 2011
    Alright, I got a set of DR Sunbeams and a set of GHS Pressurewounds coming my way. Just ordered them from bassstringsonline! Very excited for them!

Thanks guys!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021