1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend some Jazz.

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by mebusdriver, Aug 16, 2012.

1. I'm looking for some new music. I've been playing along with various recordings of some standards for a jazz combo I'm in. I've discovered that my favorite group setting is a quartet with most of the focus on the key players. I've been getting into Monk a lot and I love his compositions and they way he always keeps the melody in mind when soloing.

I like jazz that has really strong melodies that dominate the songs and are more about the composition. Not really into the 7 minute chops sessions. I was hoping to get some recommendations of some artist, new and old, or some albums like this that you guys love. I play with a big horn section so these guys are always making me check out horn players. But I'm really more drawn towards the key players. I just don't know of many of the "greats" or the really popular guys. Thanks for any help!

2. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm sure many will chime in. But if you like keys players, there's no better place to start than Bill Evans IMO. Although all of his albums are great, check out Explorations,Everybody Digs Bill Evans, and Live at the Village Vanguard.

3. Should probably clarify. Sorry!! Key, bass, drums and horn. Or just a key trio with bass and drums. Thanks!!

4. Mesa

Mesa

Mar 20, 2008
    Holly Springs NC
    Ahmad Jamal. At the Pershing.

5. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Earl "Fatha" Hines (his solo stuff is pretty incredible.. there's a good double CD of some of his solo stuff recorded in the 70s).

6. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    Check out any bud Powell record

For more modern sounding stuff check out keith jarrett and brad meldeau trio

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Light As A Feather -- Chick Corea

8. millertx

millertx

Dec 18, 2006
    Flower Mound, TX
    +1 I really like his Portrait of Jazz

9. ducknturtle

ducknturtle

Dec 28, 2006
    New Jersey
    Phineas Newborn jr. World of Piano

10. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Definitely check out Herbie Nichols (get ahold of "Love, Gloom, Cash, Love" and the complete Blue Note recordings if you can).

11. Awesome!! Keep em coming! I've got a big road trip coming up so I need some new jams.

12. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    i love freddie hubbard's album "hubcap"
    it's very catchy, he might be "slumming" a little bit in some people's eyes. But it's so much fun.
    trumpet was my first instrument so I'm a little biased .

13. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You can't go wrong with any of the Blue Note recordings from the early 60s. Dexter Gordon's "Go!" is a recent favorite of mine from that era. Grant Green, Hank Mobley, Horace Silver, Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith all recorded on that label, and it's all good! +1 to "Hubcap", also...

14. SeaBassTheFish

SeaBassTheFish

May 19, 2011
    These two erudite TB'ers happen to have mentioned 4 of my favorite albums in their posts! Minor quibble: it's "Portrait In Jazz".

For some quartet/quintet stuff, I've recently become somewhat obsessed with Wayne Shorter's "Speak No Evil" and "Juju". Every track is so outrageously good on both of those albums.

I look forward to seeing others' suggestions too. Happy listening!

15. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    Excellent choices so far. (Bill Evans is my favourite jazz musician these days)

For something modern how about anything by Medeski Martin and Wood? Three awesome musicians. Inspiring stuff!

16. Jimmy Smith
    Richard "Groove" Holmes
    Bill Chase
    Bill Evans
    Tony Monaco
    King Curtis - not sure where this falls, but it's instrumental. Could be more rock than jazz I guess....

17. This is a conversation I had yesterday.

Me: Kenny Barron is a genius.

My friend: No, Kenny Barron is a *super* genius.

18. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My goodness, is there REALLY an elephant in the room?

Mid-period Miles Davis. Start maybe with the Hank Mobley quintet, which would be "Carnegie Hall" and "Friday and Saturday at the Black Hawk." If you crave melody over chops you are pointing toward Miles -- not, of course, that he or his bands lacked chops.

+ + +

Two elephants? No way!

There is a ton of melodic Coltrane. You're not looking for 7-minute chops-fest? "Coltrane Plays The Blues." "Ballads." "Blue Trane." I could listen to "Blue Trane" for a long, long time.

+ + +

Three elephants? In one room?

That Sonny Rollins guy, he's pretty much all melody all day. "Saxophone Colossus." "The Bridge." "Way Out West."

Pretty damn crowded room!

19. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Jul 28, 2012
    Id recommend starting out old school. John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, and Louis Armstrong are some of my favorites.

My Dad is a jazz pianist and Ive always been around jazz I mainly listen to rock though.

Modern jazz is just different. Still good though. I do prefer swing jazz and big band from the 20s to early the 50s.

20. I'm into some C. Mingus right now.. got a cd set a few weeks ago and it keeps getting better.