1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for a modern-sounding five string with soapbars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I enjoy versatility. I listen to lots of different kinds of music, from jazz to funk to hard rock to hip-hop, and I like to play along with all of those types of music as well. To help me cover those different styles, I like having a wide variety of instruments. Right now I have a P with flats, a Ray with rounds, and a fretless J with rounds. What I think is missing is an active bass with soapbar pickups, and then I’ll have (what I consider to be) the four most common types of tone on bass.

I play five strings pretty exclusively, and I’d like the budget to be around $1000 (used is okay). If it’s available at GC or Sweetwater, all the better. I usually play cleans, so a good distorted sound isn’t as important as a good clean sound. Is there anything specific you would recommend?