1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RECOMMENDATIONS - Slim and heavy bass for metal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MatheusMPL, Sep 24, 2018.

1. MatheusMPL

MatheusMPL

Sep 23, 2018
    Hey guys, how's it goin?

Need some recommendations on basses. My currecntly one is a Schecter Diamond Series Custom 5 but I bought it secondhanded, and I discovered later that the truss rod's screw was very spent and I couldn't properly adjust the strings' hight. At the begining it wasn't much of a concern but then I started to play some faster sounds and it became a pain in the ass.
    So I decided it was time to buy a new one. The priority of choice is playability, but tone is also important, not a 50-50 but a 60-50 I would say. I'm from Brazil and the options around here are quite afew and expensive, but I found interest in some models, such as Ibanez SR Series, Warwick Corvette and Streamer Series, also Cort Curbow 52 cought my attention. My body proportions are relatively small, so I prefer the 34" scale lenght ones. I know it loses some heavyness, specialy on the lows, but I think I can compensate it with my SansAmp VT Bass DI. Price reference is a little complicated because it varies from place to place but I'm aiming around 600~700 dollars.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. I would recommend the Ibanez SR series. It has something in it for every budget, and even the cheaper ones are really good. I got a SR300E that I use A LOT over a bunch of more expensive gear. 700 dollars would get you a really nice bass. Perhaps a SR500, you would even get some change.

If you're a small guy a SR also would work fine, small body and slim neck as it has. Sound would not be a problem either, many metal guys use SR's with great results.

Ausbass1970 likes this.
  3. Also, changing out a worn out truss nut is no big job. An experienced tech gets in done in a couple of minutes, and if you're a bit hand you could even do the work yourself.