RECOMMENDATIONS - Slim and heavy bass for metal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MatheusMPL, Sep 24, 2018.

1. MatheusMPL

MatheusMPL

Sep 23, 2018
    Hey guys, how's it goin?

Need some recommendations on basses. My currecntly one is a Schecter Diamond Series Custom 5 but I bought it secondhanded, and I discovered later that the truss rod's screw was very spent and I couldn't properly adjust the strings' hight. At the begining it wasn't much of a concern but then I started to play some faster sounds and it became a pain in the ass.
    So I decided it was time to buy a new one. The priority of choice is playability, but tone is also important, not a 50-50 but a 60-50 I would say. I'm from Brazil and the options around here are quite afew and expensive, but I found interest in some models, such as Ibanez SR Series, Warwick Corvette and Streamer Series, also Cort Curbow 52 cought my attention. My body proportions are relatively small, so I prefer the 34" scale lenght ones. I know it loses some heavyness, specialy on the lows, but I think I can compensate it with my SansAmp VT Bass DI. Price reference is a little complicated because it varies from place to place but I'm aiming around 600~700 dollars.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. I would recommend the Ibanez SR series. It has something in it for every budget, and even the cheaper ones are really good. I got a SR300E that I use A LOT over a bunch of more expensive gear. 700 dollars would get you a really nice bass. Perhaps a SR500, you would even get some change.

If you're a small guy a SR also would work fine, small body and slim neck as it has. Sound would not be a problem either, many metal guys use SR's with great results.

Ausbass1970 likes this.
  3. Also, changing out a worn out truss nut is no big job. An experienced tech gets in done in a couple of minutes, and if you're a bit hand you could even do the work yourself.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022