1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsali, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tsali

Tsali

Feb 4, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    So here's yet another person seeking the advice of the learned masses at TB. I'm looking for either a combo or nice head/cab combination and kinda overwhelmed with the options I've found locally. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basically the situation is that I've been playing my brother's old beat-up Hartke combo for a few years and I just need something new. I don't gig, so overpowering a drummer or guitarist isn't really an issue. I do, however, like to crank the volume a bit at times. I'm playing a MIA Jazz and a Wick $$ if that makes any difference. Anyway, here's what I've found in my area.

Combo:
    1) Nemesis NC410 for $350 (unfortunately the guy that has it has been extremely hard to get up with)
    2) Nemesis N15 for $275

Heads:
    1)SWR 350 for $275
    2) GK 700RB II for $375

Cabs:
    1) Acme Low B-4 for $350
    2) Eden 410XLT for $500
    3) SWR Goliath Jr. III for $300
    4) GK 412 for $500

Since all this stuff is used, I imagine the prices are flexible. So what would you get? Combo or head and cab?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're not in a band, and don't plan to EVER be in one, a combo is fine. But if there's a chance you'll start jamming with others, get a head/cab. On your list, I'd pick the GK 700RBII paired with ANY of those cabs. It'll be up to your ears to make the call.

3. My vote is for the GK 700 & GK 412. The GK Neo series are my favorite cabs by far and I have owned SWR, Eden, Ampeg, Harke and Mesa.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Buy the head first, so you can use it to thoroughly test those used cabinets. So many people overdrive and damage the speakers. You need clean volume without distortion. Make sure all speakers in the cab are working too.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020