Recommended Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Shrapnel, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    hi, im in th emarket for a new amp, but i am really not sure which one to get, there are so many! So i was just wondering if you guys could recommend me a couple to check out. i have about £400-50 to spend (£400 if poss), it does not have to be a super powerful one, i will only be doing quite small gigs at the momment.
    Also what do you all think of ashdown bass amps?

thanks very much.
  2. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    any help would be goooood
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what country are you in? what money denomination are you using? how does that convert into USD (us dollars)?

when you say "new amp" do you mean "combo" or "head" or "power amp"? What style of music? How loud? any weight restrictions?

I like Tech21 guitar and bass products like the landmark 60, but not sure if they sell in your country? SWR Workingman 12 is good for my taste. maybe Ampeg B50R? all three of those are "combos" (preamp,amp, and speaker in one box).

good luck!
  4. Mr_Shrapnel

Mr_Shrapnel Guest

Mar 20, 2004
    i live in england, and have about £400-450 to spend, which is about $733.240-824.895usd (direct conversrsion).

yeah i mean a combo (sorry), i play music which varies from, rock & roll, jazz, funk, and everything in between, and prefer a warmer sound as opposed to a more growling sound. i play a relativly low-ish volumes when practicing , but sometimes i do play small gigs, in pubs etc,
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ashdowns amps are great and best value for money in Europe esp. in the UK.
    Check out the MAG 2x10 combo for example.
  6. Get a Peavey Max 700. 700 watts at 2 ohms, 450 at 4, and like 275 at 8, all the wattage you'll ever need, and you'll still have money leftover to buy a cab. Its $569 at if they ship to Europe.
  7. Ashdown is great! If you want an amp that will do either modern or vintage tones, go with the ABM series combos. If you want big and fat, I'd say the ABM C115 would be a nice choice. Also, there in England you might be able to pick up a nice used pre-Gibson Trace Elliot combo from one of your local music shops for a good price. :bassist: