Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommended luthier in Thanet?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by GeoffK, Sep 9, 2004.

1. GeoffK

GeoffK

Sep 9, 2004
    hello chaps (and ladies, if any) -- I'm a Canadian just moved to Thanet (with the new missus, a local girl returning home after her finishing her schooling abroad) -- can anyone recommend a good luthier in this part of the country? I've just ordered a DB off the internet, set it up -- and it all checks out, except for the string height: a staggering 2 cm. on the E string at the fingerboard end .... blimey! I thought -- I don't remember it being this difficult! I am a jazz guitarist/BG player and play jazz pizz only, no arco (I will eventually string with gut, but currently play with light flatwounds). I already had a look at the other threads in this forum and found them quite useful.

regards to one and all -- many thanks for your help in advance.

GeoffK

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Where abouts on the south coast is Thanet? Theres supposed to be a very good Luthier in Bristol, his name escapes me but will come back... And of course theres plenty in London.

3. GeoffK

GeoffK

Sep 9, 2004
    Thanks for that. The Isle of Thanet consists of Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs.

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    The following is from Bob Gollihur's luthier links. Don't know if he's any good.

Canterbury, Kent, Larry Klatskow, 01227-750461
    Repairs

Your next best bet is probably London, The list would be long, I've heard great things about Roger Dawson, the Contrabasse Shoppe and Paul Byrant, but I bet they're all expensive and have long waiting lists.