1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommended plug-in for amp/cabinet emulator?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mborok, Apr 27, 2015.

1. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
    Can someone suggest a good (and preferably economical) bass amp/cabinet emulator plug-in? I'm using Pro Tools 7.4 under Windows XP, which takes RTAS. Currently I'm plugging my Precision into preamp then into the board (digi003), and EQing as best I can. (PBass sometimes sounds a bit flabby...though maybe that's because it's a PBass.)

Or alternatively I'm open to suggestions for outboard stomp box or rack or whatever, especially if XP/RTAS is an incompatible platform.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    @Dima B is suggesting you use the Mellowmuse convolver with any of the widely available impulse responses you can find online. This really only handles the cabinet side of things, but will definitely get you a lot closer to a mic'd sound than just plugging in. For $49, it won't get the amp side of things, but it's a very cost-effective solution to your needs. Once you have the convoler, just google "bass cabinet impulse response" and find ones you like, or buy them from someone like Redwirez.

For a full amp/cab emulating plugin: Ampeg SVX is a good one for that specific Ampeg sound. IK Multimedia has a few available that seem to be decent quality, but I haven't spent a ton of time with them. There's Positive Grid Bias Desktop, which seems to get good reviews, but I've never tried, nor do I know if it's available in RTAS format.

T-Funk and Dima B like this.
  4. They have RTAS version usually.

Ampeg SVX - 99$ (RTAS is available), Mark Studio 2 - 129$ (RTAS is available). But new RTAS plugins don't work with old PT versions (before 8.0) sometimes.

5. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
    It's starting to look like I'm going to have compatibility issues with a plug-in (due to XP, ProTools version 7.4, iLok), so maybe a better way to go would be a box or rack unit. Suggestions? Thanks.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Voxengo Boogex is good VST, free, and you can load in IR's

There's absolutely nothing wrong with XP, but older protools I recall can't load VSTs
    Reaper would be worth a try.

Dima B likes this.
  7. LePou and Ignite Amps convolvers are good and free too.

Kemper Profiler, Axe FX... But these units are quite expensive.

8. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
    bass pod xt? behringer bass v-amp? sansamp bass driver DI?

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The Sansamp BDDI is fabulous for recording. Send the affected, and dry signals simultaneously on separate channels, and you've got a great selection to work with at mixdown. It's simple, relatively cheap, and compact.

10. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    ignite amps SHB-1 vst is just amazing. i've A/B it to IK's ampeg, bias and guitar rig and ignite just floors them, it sounds like a real amp comared to the rest. high end, mids, focused lows. while all of those vsts are great, and second in line is imho ampeg svx, ignite is just miles better. just one thing, ignite is very "hot" amp, so gain should be used more as overdrive than normal gain, in most cases, set much lower than 11 o'clock. i don't know if ignite includes cab in it's SHB-1 bass amp, but imho it sound best as is. ofc you can experiment with some good IR cabs (even ignite has some).

you can download it here
    Audio Plug-Ins

and it's free. apsolute beast!

next in line are line6/behringer products that while are nice are not the same quality of good vst amp sims. in live band situation, noone would notice sound diferences, but that's another thing. line6 stuff sound better than behringer, but some amps (like mesa boogie and aguilar) sound just to boomy, trick is to tame them with a big amount of compression, and tweek out some annoying midrange "plastic" overtones, they hide somewhere around 300 to 500hz, you have to find them for each amp. since line6 has good eq, that will be easy trick. also it's compressor is foolproof and works like a charm.

just for the info, i have all of the mentioned vsts, line6 x3 live, line6 amplifi fx100 and behringer v-bass amp.

so all in all IMHO;
    Ignite amps SHB-1 VST
    Ampeg SVX
    rest of the IK gang (their SS bass amp is great, especialy when you put solid state preamp and tube power amp, G&K is nice but has some unnatural mids)
    Guitar rig5 bass amp (you need to find it's flunky midrange and cut it out, after that it's fine)
    BIAS AMP (if you like overdrive and dirty bass, you'll probably like that one the most)
    Line6 gear (gazzillion amps, decent sounding when eq'd and compressed)
    TSE B.O.D. sansamp DI VST - i'd rate it below the sansamp di sim that's on line6 x3 and amplifi , but hey, it's free so.... TSE Audio - Software

and the last, behringer v-bass amp pro. it's cheap, it's usable, and probably noone in band or audience can tell the difference if you match it's for example ampeg svt sound to line6 x3's ampeg svt.

keep in mid, the difference between them is not that big, meaing that between "best" and the "last" on this list, in live, band situation select few will hear the difference (you included), everyone else will be like :D whatever

but hey, i said using VST plugins for live play? WHAT? :D yes my firend you can use even that, all you need is a laptop, audio interface and poweramp/box. or even your trusty amp with box, or combo (provided they have fx loop that you can use to bypass it's preamp, KEWL!) or you can plug in direct into PA and be the bassist sound engineers dream about.