recording 2 separate DI's a problem?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by C-5KO, Apr 23, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Usually when I record, I used the Avalon U5, and the SansAmp DI.

Recently, I've purchased the BBE BMax, which I think sounds great.

Last night, I tried to record a bass track with both the U5, and the BMax. Problem is now there is phasing. All the mids have been scooped out. when i solo each track, the mids are present, but when I play back both together, it drops. I didn't have this problem before with the Sansamp.

Now since the only thing that's been changed is the BMax replacing the Sansamp. I would assume that the singal is not travelling the same speed as the Sansamp. How do I go about correcting this phasing problem? usually if it were a mic, it could be resolved with placement. But with a DI?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Do you have a phase adj. option in your DAW?
  3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Not exactly sure. I'm using Protools 6.9 with an MBox. I'll check and see if it has that option.
  4. Rav

Rav Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    There are RTAS and TDM plugins available for protools to do variable phase adjustment. The only bundled plugings that do any incremental phasing are the delay plugs and they aren't really very useful for what you need to fix.

Since the 2 streams are recorded simultaneously odds are they are exactly 180 degrees out of phase and not phase shifted out of time. You can fix this by inverting the phase of one of the DI's by using a cable that phase inverts, Inverting phase on one of the peices of hardware if they support that or software inverting phase on one of the inputs.

To software invert phase on one channel in protools real time you can use any EQ plugin from the digisuite and load it up on one of the chanels and select the invert phase option on the plugin. Just leave the EQ settings flat so your not doing anything else to the soundstream.

For a more permanent and more CPU friendly solution select one of the tracks and use the audiosuite invert tool to phase flip it.

5. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Ok thanks. I've temporarily solved the situation.

I'm using the Sansamp DI as a splitter. Taking the output, going to the U5, and using the parallel output and going to the Bmax. It seems to work. Funny that the U5 would invert the signal. I figured, since it was a "professional" piece of equipment, that the thru would be a "clean" signal. This works for now, until I sell the DI.... then I have to figure something else out.