1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording an active bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DazzyPig, Jul 18, 2007.

1. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    Hey again,

Maybe this has been asked before (did a quick search and couldn't find out what i wanted though).

I'm using a Motu 828 at home with my logic setup, if i were to plug an active bass (pickups and 3 band EQ) into one of the two normal 1/4"/XLR inputs at the back would the Motu pick up the active signal?

would i need to use somehting else in the chain to record an active bass DI'd?

Here's another (non-recodring related) quickie on the subject of active basses.

All the amps i've used have 2 inputs, one for passive one for active, does this mean if an amp (like a small 60-100 watt combo) only has one input it probably dosn't support active basses?

cheers again guys!!

2. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    If you recording with a DI, drop it -20db first.
    So the signal from the active pickups won't be too loud.
    I would suggest using some kind of an analog amp simulator for the recordings.
    So the sound would breathe more. It gives it more life that way. Or use a mike on an amp.
    Or both, and mix the signals inside the sequencer. But that's just me.
    Some people like the sound from DI only.

Hope it helped :)

3. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    That's super handy, thanks very much!:D