1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording DB in Live Jazz Trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Jim Dedrick, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Im looking for an affordable way to record some of my gigs. Cell phones don't really work. Used a TASCAM DR40 the other day to record one of my jazz trios, piano, bass, and drums. Played my upright for the 1st two sets and an electric for the last set. EB recorded fine. DB sounded fine live and the recording was very muddy on the low notes. It was like I needed a HPF in front of the DR40- is that somehow possible? Also the DB did not cut through very well on recording where the EB did. I'll try using more mids on DB next time.

So my question is how do you record your live DB gigs?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks- Jim

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Anything here that's not a studio recording was done with a ZOOM H1, no amplifier on the bass.

3. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
  4. Jim Dedrick

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Super great tone. Thanks for sharing! This might be the right direction.

5. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Ausberto Acevedo Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    I have a dr40 and it records great. Maybe check your input level and where you’re placing it.

6. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

I have a Zoom H6 I really like. It does well with just the onboard X/Y mics if placed in the right spot. You can also add up to 4 additional mics ore DIs from an amp.

Here's a recording I made with it. I don't remember what my setup was re: # of mics/channels I used but chances are it was just the onboard mics.

PS It does have a low-cut (HPF) filter you can engage if you need to.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Adam Booker and Fran Diaz like this.
  7. Jim Dedrick

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    You very likely are right. It was on loan and set up on the fly.

8. Jim Dedrick

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    Thanks Rick. Recording sounded great. That looks like a very good product. Have you done much with the compression and HPF?

Jim

Adam Booker likes this.
  9. rickwolff

Hi Jim,

I haven't been using the low-cut. I like getting that big phat sound in the lower register that you can hear on that recording. Not everyone's preference, I'm sure, but I played too many years with basses that couldn't do that full low-end growl so now I'm unwilling to give it up.

I think I had compression (or auto record level) on one time and I felt the sound was a little 'squeezed', which shouldn't be a surprise since that is what compression does. This thing actually has 3 different compressors and 3 different limiters from which you can choose. I should probably figure out which one to use to avoid over-modulation which I have gotten when the mic gain was set a little too high. Like a lot of high-tec electronics you can sort of run this thing on manual mode, auto lever, or choose your compressor and/or limiter. Maybe I should consult someone with an engineering degree.

My preference has been to try and record as straight and unfiltered as possible.

Bottom line: this is a powerful little recorder that can produce some incredible recordings faithful to the original source.

I also have the Zoom Q8, which, despite its name, has four channels not 8 - and onboard X/Y and two XLR inputs. Same good sound plus video with and incredible 160 degree wide angle lens. You can put the camera about 4 feet from a duo and get the whole thing in the frame. Thats' nice because by keeping it relatively close like that you're getting better, cleaner sound for the audio portion.

Here's a little clip from the Q8:

Adam Booker and Fran Diaz like this.
  10. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I second the q8. You can even buy an attachment for two more channeks, making it a direct four channel input with great video!

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I really like the H6 and was thinking about the Q8, but IIRC it has no zoom. you need to move the camera frame what you want.

By the way Rick, Those recordings, especially the one with the singer sound amazing. It sure could have been release as is.

rickwolff likes this.
  12. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Really any of the listed recorders should work fine. If it was muddy, it could also just be where it was placed (room nodes, acoustics, etc.). If the electric sounded good, I bet that it simply didn't have as much deep low sound exciting the room nodes, so pulling out the ultra low frequencies will help then try moving around the recorder.

13. rickwolff

Fran,

The Q8 doesn't have a 'continuously variable zoom', but it does had 3 'Zoom setting's so you can frame the picture before you start shooting.

Also, as I mentioned in another post, this thing has a ridiculously wide-angle lens (on the widest zoom setting). It's 160 degrees which is almost shooting sideways. You can set the camera really close and still get a lot of the stage.