1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recording over backing tracks ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Old P Bass Guy, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    I use backing tracks from YouTube as part of my practice regime. I would be grateful if I could get some coaching on the easiest way to record over the tracks with my laptop. Do we have a thread anywhere that addresses this?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. I emailed Quist from QuistJam ( YouTube bassless tracks) personally.

He said it was o.k. to use his tracks for backup bass playing on this site as long as credit was clearly given to QuistJam for track use.

For me anyway, if I used one his tracks I could first record it into my Tascam DP-008EX and then play my bass into it and then upload the whole thing to SoundCloud and from there to TalkBass.

My other way for home use is to just feed the computer into a Behringer Q802USB mixer (That model has the bass compressor feature) and then plug the bass into it as well. Connect good headphones to mixer "phones out". I use "headphone out" stereo from computer and connect it to stereo " 2 track in" on mixer for the computer music source. Small cable and a stereo "Y'
    splitter on the end of it to mixer RCA plugs.

Easy peezy. Instantly jam to anything on the internet.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Old P Bass Guy likes this.
  3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Depending on how you're recording, there's several ways to do this. ZenG's is certainly one of them.

If you have recording software, you could import the backing track and then DI your bass onto another track. Or you could pipe the backing track into one input of your DI box onto one track and the bass onto another (pretty much same results as importing the backing track first, but you may get a better mix to work with).

If you're just doing an open air recording, run your BT through a stereo and then your bass through your amp. It shold be obvious that this is a lesser quality option than the DI route.

4. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I have a little sorting out to do and get myself up to speed on the techno talk. You guys tossed me a lot of Acronyms and X2LRY89 Type stuff. The last time I recorded anything it was on a reel to reel recorder with a surer Mic.

Thanks again

Guy