1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recording Steel Pans

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Davebass, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ive got a steel band coming into the studio tomorrow, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on mic positions, type of mic etc. anything really, just thought id do a bit of research before i press record.

Cheers

2. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
  3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Pop off!

(Sorry, it's a joke not many people may understand.)

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If me I would ask the musician if he's recorded steel drums before. If they have then next question is obvious "what's the best position for mic'ing them". They want to sound good and you want to good recording so no problem asking.

If they haven't recorded steel drums then you just have to ask them to play some and move around and listen for general area where most sound is coming from. If you got someone 2nd engineering with you have them take a mic out and move it around while you monitor it.

5. cheers, todays session went very well. i used a drum overhead on the tenor pans, i figured cymbals, steel drums same sort of frequency range an it wored really well with one underneath and on above and just of center.

Thanks for all your input