Recording through a powered mixer?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Feb 19, 2006.

1. my band's currently running a Samson XM910. its only got 1/4" line outs, but i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to run those into a small mixer for recording purposes? would i need to somehow cut some power out of the mix? (output rated at 900w)

just wondering, cause we'd really like to record our practices for review purposes
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whatever you do, don't record a post-amplification signal. The output is strong enough to damage recording equipment, all of which is designed to be used a pre-amplification levels.

Does the mixer have an Auxilary output, a monitor send, or perhaps a tape output? Any of these should work well enough for what you're trying to do. Actually the monitor send is a great way to do it, because you can adjust the levels of each instrument as they go to the recorder seperately from the main mix. Typically a recording from a direct output will result in an recording where the levels of the instruments are all wrong. This is understandable given they were set to sound good live.

In other words, if a direct recording from say a tape-out results in vocals being too loud for example, you won't be able to turn them down on the recording unless you also turn them down live. Using the monitor send solves this problem because you can soften the vocals t the recorder without having to turn them down in the live PA. Make sense?
  3. i think we have some monitor outs, next time we practice i'll try to hook up through these
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Your Powered Mixer has a Left and a Right Mix Out. Run them into a recording device and use your onboard mixer to adjust levels, tone and effects.

Once you get everything set right you will be able to make a really decent demo recording of your band live.