Recording through guitar amp, using Headphone-out?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mgade, Nov 27, 2005.

1. mgade

Nov 27, 2005

I'm new to this forum, as you might see. I am mostly a guitar-player, but own a 5-string MIM Fender J-bass that I record using a Zoom PS-04. Trouble is - I can't get any real bottom end. That is - until yesterday! I Found out I got great tone (IMO) using my little Vox AD15VT guitar-amp. I wouldn't dare playing it through the speakers, but it sounded nice through the headphones, meaning I can get a beautiful signal recorded!

Does that damage my amp? :confused: I figure it shouldn't, but I heard a sudden drop in volume after less than 10 seconds af playing though the guitar sounded good enough afterwards and later the bass did so too (after my nerves had calmed down a bit).

What do you think - do I need to worry??

Thanks in advance!
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Generally speaking a guitar amp should be be OK, but the speakers won't be able to handle the low frequencies of the bass very well. However, if you keep the levels down so as to not put stress on the speakers, you shouldn't have any problems. Or better still, bypass the speakers all together and you should be fine.
  3. mgade

Nov 27, 2005
    Needed to hear that :p