Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recording with bass preamp and four track

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lo-end, Jan 28, 2005.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Can I plug a bass preamp directly into a 4 track recorder? Im thinking of buying an ampeg preamp and my friend is letting me borrow (long term) his 4 track. Do I need a mixer or some kind of impedence matcher or what

2. Sure! Take the line-out from the pre and stick it in a line-in on the recorder and see how it sounds. Optimally, your 4-track has a channel other than the mic-pre channels so that there is no need to "double-pre" since you are using your Ampeg pre to bring your instrument's level up to the line-level that your 4-track wants. Not to mention the fact that the Ampeg pre does a better job altogether; the 4-track's pre will just degrade your signal. Usually, the less in the signal chain the better.

So hopefully your 4-track has a channel with no extra gain. Most mixers will have at least one stereo channel (typically two 1/4" jacks, one marked L and one R) that will accomodate this. Usually you'll plug into the Left channel if you have a Mono source (which you do).

Another option worth trying (just for the experience) that's easy is with a plain old cassette deck with RCA ins. You'll need a special cable called a "Y" cable. Not an "insert" cable. That's tricky cuz all the Banjo-Mart employees who truly know-it-all will assume you want an insert cable. You will have to explain it to them like this: I want to put a Mono signal in two different places! They'll get real confused and say, "Why?"

The Y-cord will allow you to record your bass to the left and right on the tape deck. It's the simplest and cheapest way to practice getting your bass recorded well.

3. Sloom

Sloom

Mar 3, 2005
    Hosa makes that Y-cable, and it's at Guitar Center. I'm sorry... :rolleyes:

Nothing else to add.