Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recording with iPod?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by joeybcdt, Aug 30, 2004.

1. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Anyone doing any recording with an Apple iPod? How are you doing it?

Joey

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This, this and this

are the 3 ways to record with your iPod. each of them records at a fairly low quality(16 bit at 8khz) Suitable really, for voice only. Instruments would sound like crap.

The other issue is, the iPod HDs(as with every other mp3 player HD) aren't designed for continuous use, they can break if put under a lot of constant stress, like recording would do. Also, while they record just fine, the internal HDs(like all other mp3 player HDs) are slow, only 4800 rpms, which is pretty slow for recording, I'm sure it works fine at the low quality with just voice, but if you could use a higher quality it'd probably lag.(the processor in the iPod is top of the line, but it's still a slow chip)

I personally don't have any experience with it, but I'm pretty sure it won't be too special. For more information, maybe you should post over at www.ipodlounge.com they might even have an article or two about this topic. also you could check out www.macosxaudio.com if you're a mac user.

So, while you COULD do it, I wouldn't recommend it, you're way better off getting a mini-disc recorder, if you want a nice simple, stereo mix.

mini-disc+nice microphone=decent recording.

also, this belongs in recording gear and equipment..moving..

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I second the minidisc thing. I've made lots of concert recordings using my Soundprofessionals binaural mics and a Sharp 722 MD recorder.

brad cook

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Why not just plug the mini-disc recorder into the mixer if you're playing live? Wouldn't you get better sound that way over using a single mic? I'm just asking here. For practice, the single mic would be a start.

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm with Smash here, and I would suggest the Sharp MD-15.

I posted about this months ago, but it looks like that thread is gone. Anyway, you can make your own condenser mics with a couple of electret capsules from digikey.com, an 1/8 inch stereo jack, and three wires. You can get some pretty good recordings with a mic that costs less than $10.

As far as the Minidisc is concerned, if you don't get one with a powered mic input, the only way you're gonna get a recording is with the board or some other line output. Personally, I'd rather record with the board. You get less extraneous sounds. It can sound sterile, but sometimes you can get room sounds from the drum overhead mic or the vocal mics. If it sounds too sterile, you can always add some reverb during post-processing. The downside is that the mix is in the hands of the soundman.

6. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Is the MD-15 the same thing as the MD-MT15?

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Yes

8. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I'm having a hard time finding an MD-MT15. Does it have to be that model or will any model Sharp do the job?

Joey

9. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    What are the other favored units? I did the search as suggested. From what I saw, the 702, 722, and 877 are also acceptable. Is that correct?

Joey

10. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Check out www.minidisc.org and you can find out which recorders will work with a microphone.

From looking at the site, the 702, 722, and 877 will take a microphone.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Nomad Jukebox 3, does the job quite nicely. I've been using mine for almost a year now and I rarely use a minidisc anymore. The Jukebox records directly to WAV and you can easily get a continous recording of two hours or more on a single battery charge. The Jukebox does require a microphone pre-amp which means you need an extra piece of equipment. I use a small stereo preamp that I got from the Sound Professionals that works pretty good. The best part of all of this is that you can shoot the recording onto your hard drive quickly using a firewire connection and then burn the result to CD. The downside of mini disc is that you need a home deck to do a digital transfer to a CD burner and you have to do it in real time.

Here's a clip recorded using the Jukebox with a stereo microphone at someones aparment:

http://www.4me4.us/music/lightsout.mp3

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for the info! :)

you just talked me out of using my Philips HD to record rehersals!

13. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    I found a MD-MT15 brand new still in the sealed box on eBay. It also came with Voquette Netlink, whatever that is. I was willing to pay more since it was new. Just under $100.00 shipped.

I picked up a stereo computer mic from Radio Shack. It's FR only goes up to 15K.

I'll try it out Monday at practice. Thanks guys.

Joey

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    iPods suck that much, eh? :D My NOMAD Jukebox (with a 4200 RPM HD) can record 16 bit/48 kHz stereo files without a problem. No lags or anything. Quite usable for recording gigs or rehearsals, though the built-in preamp sucks big ones.

Hard drive speed is only an issue with multitracking. The capacity for catching 2-track audio with a HD was readily available in the mid-90's (if not earlier than that).

15. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Yea, I have my doubts too. What mic is recommended? This was the only stereo mic I could find locally.

Joey

16. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Jive1:

I've gone to digikey.com. It's not a very well laid out site. Do you have any item numbers?

Joey