1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reed James Neo Humbuckers Review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pnutonbass, Oct 17, 2013.

1. pnutonbass

pnutonbass

Aug 15, 2013
    Hey my fellow TBers…I did a review a few months ago about the Reed James Vintage Vibe Neo pickups. Well I recently got my Reed James Neo humbuckers installed. The sound…WOW. The bass I had them installed in is a Fat Andy’s Customs(Max Anderson) I had made. It has an ash body,maple neck,brass bridge and a Sadowsky onboard preamp. The original pickups were Nordstrand Big Singles. The pickups sounded good but always had very low output. I just sent them back to Nordstrand and they informed me that the magnets were not fully charged.I should be getting them back any day now.
    Now back to the Reed James Neos…these pickups are quiet. No hum. No hiss.. quiet to the point that at times you think the bass is off but it’s not. I was very eager to see how the humbuckers compared to the Vintage Vibe Neos, I was not disappointed. They are very similar but yet different. Both the Vintage Vibe Reed James Neo and the Humbuckers (RJNH) produce tones that are crystal clear. Finger style, chords double stops, harmonics you hear it all in clear hi fi like definition. And what really makes this so amazing is that I was able to get these tones from just the bass itself. On the various rigs that I’ve tried them on the eq was initially flat.
    The array of tones is unbelievable. Because the pickups are quiet you can adjust the neck and bridge pickup volumes to attain nice tonal variations. With the bridge pickup at full volume and the neck pickup at zero I got a nice Jacoesque tone. Turning the neck pickup to about ¾ and the bridge pickup full on I this nice cross tone that I can best describe as a hint of Jaco with a hint of Marcus when he plays hard with his fingers and having both pickups fully on….Marcus on steroids .
    These are a few of the tones I’m sharing with you. There are more and all of them useable. I’ve used the bass on rock, r&b, funk and jazz and its tones sounded good in each of those settings. And let me also say that because these pickups are so efficient a little EQing from the rig goes a long way.
    The Reed James Humbucker Neos and the Vintage Vibe are both top notch pickups but if had to choose between the 2…..I’d choose both..LOL.
    In the near future I will post video demos of both of these pickups. Until then.
    Peace,
    “P”-Nut Johnson

2. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    what happened to the videos