1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Referral for a refinish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by UncleMattGuy, May 12, 2011.

1. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Posted on "basses" and no luck, maybe better here. I have a bass that I would like to have refinished. My criteria are ; professional job, reasonable turnaround time and decent price. In that order. Can you guys recommend someone? I hate the Eeny meeny miny mo thing......

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Where are you located?

3. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Boston

4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Do you know anyone in the furniture/cabinet making trade? Depending on what finish you're looking for that might be a good option.

5. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    You are kidding right? I don't have one of those furniture basses.

6. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Nope! Probably not kidding. These guys know how to finish wood...correct? I've been wondering the same thing.

They could definitely, at a minimum, prepare it for a final finish. Poly spray coats are for someone good with a spray gun.

What kind of finish are you looking for? Solid color?

7. I used Marty Bell before, and he was quick to ship it back, and the work was very professional

Page Title

8. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I just used a local guy here in Colorado - Dan Dachel, he refinished my 59 Pbass and did an incredible job. You'd have to pay shipping but he really knows what he's doing - people ship him Hofners and Ricks from all over the world to rebuild.

http://www.northsidemuse.com/virtuoso.html

I'd stay away from anyone other than a luthier, you want someone who knows how to disassemble and assemble an instrument, pull the pickups, etc.

His phone # is 970 221-5307. I would recommend him to anyone. He does masterful work.

9. UncleMattGuy

UncleMattGuy

Jan 26, 2011
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't want a furniture guy taking my bass apart!
    I will check out everyone's recommendations and make a decision.