Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Refinishing questions

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by CB3000, Jan 27, 2006.

1. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    Hi,
    I need a bit of help... I stripped my Framus recently and there is a good bit of blotchy black spotting in the wood still. It's a laminate bass- 3ply. and it seems like the top layer is pretty thin.

Should I bleach it to get rid of the spots? Will that be dangerous to the glue underneath? I kind of thought of living with the spots and varnishing over it with a dark brown maybe. I've never done this before so I don't know if the black stuff would give it an "antiqued" or worn-in look or just look bad...

Basically, what would you do? I don't need it to be perfect just to look good in case I need to sell it.

Thanks!

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Ahhh... stripping black. Reds and blacks often make a sort of dye slurry that results in what you're looking at. But, there's hope...

The top or face veneers of plywood basses are very thin.. They are just veneers, after all.

Having said that, I'd still try sanding. Use a relatively high grit (for raw wood prep, anyway) like a 280 or 320, and work starting in a less-noticable area - the bottom of the ribs is ideal. Careful sanding combined with the finer grit and STOPPING as soon as you have a rusult that's acceptable to you should do the trick without mishaps. Use a foam block to back the paper and more evenly distribute the pressure.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What kind of stripper are you using? Before you sand away, I would try Dad's Stripper. You can get it at Home Despot, Wally World, etc. It's the shiznazz... use gloves and do it outside...

4. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    hey nick,

i used citristrip. will that dad's get the stains out of the wood? would i use a scrubber? i''ve already sanded it pretty good and there's still alot of stains left...
    thanks fellas!

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've used citrustrip as well... the dad's is much better for stripping, but it does require more ventilation/outside use... I would expect it to remove more of the finish that is left on the bass...