1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reggae Bass, The Amp...

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Jul 16, 2019.

1. I find it annoying that members of my reggae band need so much low end out of my rig, when we have able pa. I am put on the spot to be sure I have a rig that carries unusually hefty lows. I'm going to let up on this endeavor a bit, ...and i'm sure to get an earful for it, which is going to become a problem. Truth is I'm not of the means, and really don't wish to give that much of my life to this equipment issue. I have good amps.
    Anyone else have this issue with their band?

Border and Thud Staff like this.
  2. Thud Staff

Thud Staff Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    My issue is not exactly the same, but my thinking is the same as yours: ‘if you want mor than I have to offer, you’re welcome to go out and get it’...

I work hard to provide solid bass tone and a great groove that fits the music and the room, only to hear between songs or at practice ‘what you really need is ... XXXX cabinet/sound’. Hey, tell the guitar player he needs such and such pedal and listen to his litany of excuses how that doesn’t fit in with his ‘delicate sensibilities’ of how he/she sculpts his/her tone, and ‘I’ll leave and then see how many gigs you get...!’

Then, during the set or other playing situations, the stage volume is ridiculous and I have the sound tech rushing to the stage to turn my amp down so low, I’m playing harder and it all (now) sounds terrible The other band members turn around and look at me, as if to say ‘see...your rig is not loud/bassy/room-filling...even the sound guy can’t redeem it...’. What?!

Put me in the PA and let that give you the chest rattling/diarrhea inducing bass you so desperately crave! This isn’t the 60’s/70’s: PA’s have come a long way.

Rant over...maybe...

Bboopbennie and Count Bassie like this.
  3. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    In rentals, we once 'eard a dude ask for a cab with 'MAXIMUM BASS IN ALL FREQUENCIES.' LMAO

Goatrope, murphy, Real Soon and 2 others like this.
  4. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    I listen to a lot of Reggae...the low end (80hz and lower) is key in my mind to the sound/feel. I do understand the bandmate's wish for that but do they want the onstage presence? If so, are you using wedges or in ears? If the PA has sub support, throw those lows in them for front of house and EQ everything for desired monitor mix. Otherwise, if you don't have the means to replicate the sound they want, maybe back off as you said you may do. really depends on what you want to do.

what kind of amp are you running?

5. Head from a Peavey Combo 300, Black Widow 15 in Crate cab, DIY 210 w/Eminence BP102 drivers. Both cabs 4 ohms each.

Attached Files:

murphy likes this.
  6. Stage monitoring of 80 Hz and lower tends to be bad for situations involving house systems.

I have an old Eden D410T I'd love to use, but won't put out for 60Hz and lower. It DOES punch like a heavyweight however.
    Again, our old school Island import turns to me and "needs more lows". I'm going to come to the end of it, I guess.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  7. Note... most of these gigs are outdoors, but with "full pa", incl subs.

murphy likes this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The same old story :bawl:.

You could try hunting down a Trace Elliot V6. If that doesn't do the trick, it's probably a lost cause :cool:.

9. I don't think the amp is the issue, it's speakers/enclosures. My Peavey 300 is well able to produce adequate lows, as are my Trace 250SMX and Acoustic 370. What I have for speakers is somewhat more limited.

I am not able to spend without selling off some of what I have (which is perfectly good wares), which, as many of us know, can be a lengthy and unworthy process. I just don't want to be bothered with any more of it- I feel that as musicians, to "need" more of the end result when you are part of the delivery system is sort of immature. And I've been carting big stupid cabs around, hefting them up and down my stone-and-mortar front steps for 5 years to keep the scene happy. They're lucky I'm showing up at all. Lol...

murphy, 4 Strings Good and Wasnex like this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The point I apparently did not make very well is the V6 is somewhat special in regards to producing a big fat warm tone.

I totally understand your frustration. I toured for over 20 years and had the option to use big bass rigs if I wanted. Most of the time I opted for a 210 or equivalent. If someone wanted more bass, they asked the audio tech for a bump in their monitor. If that was not sufficient, they were out of luck, and perhaps that was an indicator they should turn down :smug:.

Count Bassie likes this.
  11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    A Greenboy Dually might be a good choice. Surprising light and easy to move around. A bit dark with sort of big sloppy lows. I think a Dually would fit right into a Reggae band.

SactoBass and Count Bassie like this.
  12. Something that, eventually, I could look into. Good description, I think you got the point here, thanks for the rec.
    Until then, I gotta sit on my nickels and dimes!

Wasnex likes this.
  13. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Try a cheapie epifani t310, make sure it's a series 2.
    Works well for the boomy reggae setup on my Electric Blue, try a semi parametric eq.
    Easy cab to move around.

Count Bassie likes this.
  14. Pumping lows on stage only muddies up the PA bass.

Axstar and Count Bassie like this.
  15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You got that right. But apparently the majority of the the band wants more bass :bawl:.

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  16. Yeah. I wonder just how big the PA is. Might be better to forget bass monitoring and pump up the PA system. We all know how that can go. :bag:

Count Bassie and Wasnex like this.
  17. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    We have a festival here in our city
    Called soca reggae fest

It’s usually an ampeg 810 and a tube head with HUGE PA

But when I play usually bring my tcbh800 with a peavey tvx 412

murphy and Count Bassie like this.
  18. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Here’s me playing my stingray

One year it was a 410/15 hybrid ampeg cab
    But I brought my own head/ system

A 2500 watt crown XLS poweramp with my Marcus miller pre

And here’s the PA From a few years ago

I have a friend who’s doing sound now and brings a Huge Warfdale system I believe

221FC09E-D1CE-4E34-9940-F00A4978C892. F89A8514-D4EA-499F-A30A-1EF6D29B7841.

murphy, Wasnex and Count Bassie like this.
  19. 412TX is a beast to move up and down stairs... sounds good though. I had an Ampeg PR410-HLF, same deal. A large anvil to move, sounded great...
    The 810 isn't really that deep, but moves air, lots of low-mid punch.
    These dudes I've been playing with will learn to live with it.

Thanks for chiming in, all!

Real Soon and PeaveyPlayer like this.
  20. Bboopbennie

Bboopbennie

Jun 16, 2019
    Have 2 Fender 410 and thought they didn't go very low. Cranked the bass all day on a Rumble 500 head.
    Still no lows until i put a EQ on it and dialed in 50-75 Hz. Boom.... That did it and NO mud, cuz its a parametric
    EQ. Got to close down the bandwidth to get rid of the Mud. That,s why the HPF filters are popular, correcting the low frequency in a different way. If your cab can go lower, sometime an EQ is needed to push it there!

Stumbo likes this.