1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Relationships within your band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. In your band(s)...
    Who do you get along the best with?
    Who do you get along the worst with?

Let me guess...guitarists will be the enemy!???? Just a guess from my experience here so far!

2. Aenima

Aenima

Aug 24, 2007
    St. Louis
    actually my guitarist is my best friend we have been since grade school, and weve been jammin togather for 5 years now, i dont really "not get along" with anyone in the band actually:)

3. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    Our guitarist is a great guy, but our keyboard player is a complete ass. He has a Phd in music theory so he thinks the rest of us suck.

4. For myself, this is actually a question I don't really like!

I think I'd say our keyboardist is my fav, afterall he's my best friend.

As for worst...it was our singer. Was, yea...he quit around Christmas.
    Now I like all 4 of us remaining members. :)

I'm trying to learn that we will never always get along perfectly and feel like best pals. In our case i think it's a blessing that our singer quit tho, cuz there seemed to be bad chemistry, especially between me and him. I am a hard driver in the band. Probably annoy my 'mates by being so picky with our songwriting and stuff...but anyways...singer was the opposite...naive,lazy,didn't practise on own, that's good enough sorta attitude...

I think I need to learn to focus more on the positives and be more encouraging, that should go a long way.

5. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I get along well with everybody, but I like our drummer the least. For four years of playing he should be much better than he is now. THat's my only real beef with him. He's still a good guy, though.

6. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    my whole band loves each other.

we are a four piece band and we all get along great, i love it.

7. Fnord Explorer

Fnord Explorer

Feb 3, 2008
    Nibiru
    My main band all get along great and are awesome players to boot.

Life is too short to play with someone you don't care for.

8. My Dirt bike rock band:
    I get along fine with the singer and the gui**** but the drummer and I tend to have issues. The only reason I`m still there is that the drummer is gone in a month or so. (moving).

My funk band:
    Everyone gets along great.

9. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    We all are good friends.At my age I refuse to play with jerks.

10. Incognitus

Incognitus Amen!

Mar 25, 2006
    Eagle River, Alaska
    I am currently without a band but I always got along with everyone usually. The only exception is the rhythm gui****/ lead singer of a previous band who really wasn't that good and let his leadership position go to his head. Acts like a jerk to those who volunteer to play with him.

Other than that always worked with consummate professionals.

11. I'm married to the drummer. He's ok I guess.
    Really pally with with one guitarist. Get one well with other guitarist and singer.

We all take the mick out of each other and generally get along great.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Typically my relationship goes from favorite to least favorite:

Drummer

Frontman

I've frequently played in power trios and the frontmen have always been ego filled folks, because I'm usually not just dealing with gui**** but also vocalist and songwriter all in one package. If the format didn't contribute the available sonic space because of the limited lineup I'd've given it up long ago because of the inevitable personality traits that accompany it.

13. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    My drummer. We've been friends for a while.

He's like the big sister I never had... or wanted.

Kidding. :)

14. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    We all get along fine......or we wouldn't be playing together. Can't have fun playing with someone you don't really like... :ninja:

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

None. I tolerate them all!
    The drummer but I just tolerate him!

Absolutely!

:meh:

16. Meh, this is one near and dear to me right now. My frontman/lead guitarist is a very cool guy, but we have very different ideas about how to get to where we both want to go. My rhythm guitarist and drummer are both too cool for me to hang out with... I suppose it comes with being from two different generations, but I don't "get" them. It's not so much that I don't like them, but I wouldn't call them close friends. At this point, it's really more a business relationship than anything, and we're about to go under.

:Grr:

17. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    The band I am in now get along great. Not that we are "best friends" that hang out but we all are experienced, professional, players. Everyone shows up on time, plays adequately, acts professionally and does their fair share. What else do I need?

18. I think the chemistry is very important. Having a member that constantly annoys you/slows you down.. hurts things. The few times our singer didn't come to practise we seemed to accomplish more and i think at least i had more fun.

19. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    We're all very good friends, doing stuff together outside of the band as well.

20. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    My band is fairly new, but the drummer and I see very eye-to-eye and get along great and hang out and ride together blah, blah, blah, but I get along great with the other two guys too, we just get to busy in our own lives to really hang out. It's a professional situation and the players are excellent both playing-wise and personally. I'm very fortunate to be in a situation like this one right now, I'm really happy with it.