Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reloading my 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ToddZilla, May 5, 2004.

1. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Noticed today that my genz-benz 210 has got a bit of cone creasing :bawl: Still sounds good at low volume, but pushed a bit it's getting fuzzy.

I've searched a good bit, and can't seem to find the spec's for what's in it. Pulling one out resulted in a model number, but google gave me sqaut for that too :meh:

I've looked around the eminence site some, but as I'm not "exactly" sure what I'm hunting it's kinda tough.

Here's what I know.... They're GBE 1040-8's , the cab says it's rated for 200 watts at 8 ohms. The tweeter is a fostex, and says it only rates 150 watts.

I'm under the impression that cabs are built for specific speaker tolerances. True? If so, do I need to get the same subs that GB put in there originally, or can I outsource it so to speak?

Any pointers would be a big help,

Thanks,
    ~Steven

2. Have you thought of reconing the speakers? I've just ordered a recone kit for a Bag End 12inch and am going to take it to a qualified tech to be installed. Total price $110cdn. A new speaker $200cdn.

I'll let you know how it sounds when it's all done.

3. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    What risks to I run if I say....drop a couple of the eminence delta 10's in there? Their power handling is a bit better, but since I don't know the originals parameters I'm hesitant to just buy them. While reconing might be better for me, band has first gig next weekend, which doesn't leave much time unless it's a really fast process.

~Steven

4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you're gonna' have a bunch of guys on here telling you about how cabs and speakers are designed for each other. i'd contact gb and ask them what they use and if you can get them from them or somewhere else. adding different speakers could open up a whole new barrel of monkeys (and not the fun kind either)

5. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    I've emailed GB, but no response yet, going to give them a call tomorrow. That barrel of monkeys is what I'm afraid of. Could be it sounds awesome with different subs, or it could be a$$, and you can't return speakers at most places. Guess if it comes down to it I can try the eminences and if they don't work in the GB box I'll become a DIY cab builder :D

~Steven

6. I pulled the two 10's out of my Carvin RC210 cabinet. Installed two Delta 10's from Dave at Avatar. Now I have a 600 watt cabinet instead of a 200 watt cabinet. All this for around $100.00. Look at the Avatar site, e-mail Dave and see how much he wants for them now.

7. ToddZilla

ToddZilla Guest

Apr 12, 2004
    Put the Deltas in....mmmmm :bassist: