1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removable Mic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ishalleatyou, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ishalleatyou

ishalleatyou

Sep 7, 2007
    Recently I've started jamming with my 2 mates, a sax player and a piano player. We are planning on starting a jazz quartet maybe, once we find a jazz drummer who is avaliable. Thing is, I would love to use my double bass in our jamming sessions, but the only problem is I would not be heard at all, soI have had to use my bass guitar all the time, which is fine but I would rather use my Double Bass.

The problem is though, the double bass is not mine, its my schools, which means I can't just start drilling holes in the bottom of it to place a mic. Because they will probably notice a great big hole in the body of the bass. Another thing, could I just run it through a normal bass amp? Or would I have to buy somthing else to make it work?
    Apologies if i'm asking a stupid question, I don't really know much about amps mics etc.

tl:dr
    Need detachable bass mic and would I be able to run it straight through a regular bass amp?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yes, there are either microphones or pickups that can be attached and removed with ease, but at some point you're going to need to address the fact that in playing with only a saxophonist and a pianist you can't be heard. Making an acoustic instrument heard in ensemble is about more than plugging in and turning up. As Rufus Reid so eloquently puts it, you get a thin, weak sound that doesn't project acoustically, when you plug into an amp you get a loud thin, weak sound that doesn't project.

3. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I agree with that. I am working on my acoustic sound lately and it helps a lot. And it is so much fun to play without an amp. Also, sometimes Sax players can play very loud, they have to adjust to the volume of the piano and the bass. And maybe you should try to find a teacher who can help you.

4. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    No need to drill holes in the bass etc.

There are several pick ups made for bass that can be attached to the bridge with out any modifications, such as the Fishman BP-100 and K&K Bass Max. There are others. W/ some bass guitar amps it is good to have a separate pre amp to match the impedance of the pick up, but this is not always essential, depending on p/u and amp.

You can get a mic signal by simply wrapping a decent mic like a Shure SM 57 in a rag or large sponge and stuff it under the bridge w/ the mic pointing up. You can also mount it easily w/ couple of rubber bands suspending it in the bridge ala Chris Fitzgerald.

Many players like to blend the pick up signal and mic signal or use the pick up signal alone. Some players use mic signal only.

PLEASE start her at the "Newbie Links" Sticky: AMPS & PICKUPS Links and FAQ: Please read before posting ("Newbie Links")
    there is a wealth of info on amplifying our wonderful instrument. Do a bit of reading here. It will pay off.

Good luck, BG

5. ishalleatyou

ishalleatyou

Sep 7, 2007
    Its not so much the piano and the sax that i'm worried about, its the fact that when we start to use a drummer, I doubt I will be heard, so I don't really have that much of an option. But I shall look into it anyway, thanks for your help. :)

6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    You might also take a look at the H-Clamp; it's a boom mic holder that is designed to clamp directly onto the edge of the bass (like a luthier's cramp) and can hold most any mic (within reason) that you choose... And no modification to the instrument.

7. eiahto

eiahto

Jul 29, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I would suggest getting a Realist pickup to start off. You'll have enough things to worry about with your playing, and feedback shouldn't be one of the variables that you have to deal with. Experimentation with a mic should come after you start wanting more from your amp sound with a pickup, probably after you've tried all other pickups you can get your hands on.

8. +1 on the h-clamp. or if you go the pickup route: planet wing plus an fdeck preamp ...