Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removal of Strunal endpin

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jonas J, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I experience some rattling that I believe comes from the excess endpin inside my Strunal 5/35. To rid my bass of this, I want to shorten the endpin, but the problem is that I can't remove the darn thing! It seems that the inside end of the endpin has some sort of stopscrew preventing removal.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the endpin?
    Thanks,

Jonas

PS I have a theory of pushing the endpin into the bass, and subsequently fishing out the endpin from inside the bass (I suppose reinstallation will not be a problem since I can insert it from the outside bottom after the removal of the stopscrew), but I want to here from you guys (and gals) first.

2. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
    Hi, Jonas,
    With most endpins, you have to remove it together with the socket. The socket usually is a cone, and is just held by the tailpiece rope (and not glued into the block). Once you have removed the whole assembly, it's easy to file away any obstacle from the endpin rod.
    Just take care that the soundpost doesn't fall over when you loose the strings (you can put some heavy books on the top of the bass for that).

Viele Grüße, Jonas

3. I got a rattle and it wasn't the length of the endpin inside the bass but the loop of wire that acts as a stop. My luthier recommended putting a bolb of epoxy on a suitable length of dowel and dabbing it on the endpin stop by poking it through the f hole. However, it seemed to have cleared itself up mostly so I never bothered to try it.

Darn nuisence these stops as you can't swop the pin for a bass wheel.

4. You just hered it!
    ( The top of the rod is mushroomed ) Pull the rod out as far as it will go. Saw it off. Work the sawed stump out through the F hole......discard. Put rod back in less the amount that you had to saw off. Be nice to have a threaded crutch tip on that sucker.

5. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    OK, I here you! ;) Thanks for the tip!

Just curious, why does the endpin have a stop?

6. My theory is that lower end basses are assumed to be used in schools or by young beginers. That being the case, they have the stop on the pin to prevent it from being removed and lost.
    That's just what I think. I had the same thing with my 5/35, but when I brought my bass in for a set up I asked them to get the pin out and cut the end off so I could use a wheel.

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    yeah, if you want to cut down your endpin on the Strunal you'll need to pull out the endpin plug. It's not glued in or anything, but you'll have to slack the strings and take the tailpiece pressure off. The endpin rod has a little thingamajig on the end like the stopscrew you're talking about. Why does it have a stop? Beats me, maybe so they know they won't lose it during shipping.

The rod's hollow, by the way...

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Same here. Took it to the luthier to fix, along with set-up. Gotta have that wheel.

9. Yeah I took my bass out ONCE without a wheel. Jonas, I wouldn't recomend loosening the strings and removing the end pin housing too many bad things can happen. The bridge, soundpost, even the tail peice are held in place by string tension. Paul W's idea is the best DIY method suggested.
    If you have the bread I'd suggest going to a luthier and just have the whole end pin assembly replaced. The stock Strunal one isn't so good, the housing is plastic and the way the pin is held in place will not work so well with a wheel. It is a ring that closes around the pin, a wheel will just keep rotating in the housing.

10. Until i've heard something wiser from one of our luthiers, I think this makes the most sense, mike. Some kids are too short to use any length at all, so they take the whole Mother out.
    Thanks, i've wondered about this for years.

11. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I removed the endpin according to your instructions and it worked out fine. Thanks for the help!

Jonas

12. :p