1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Remove The Neck Or Not?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lonote, Apr 4, 2006.

1. I just bought a Fender Classic 50's P-Bass a couple of weeks ago and installed 1050 ML's then. Not surprisingly, it's time for a truss rod adjustment. This is the first bass I've worked on with the adjustment at the heel that didn't have a notch in the pickguard where I could insert the phillips head screwdriver to make the adjustment. I don't want to notch the pickguard (gold anodized aluminum). Do you guys usually remove the neck completely or just loosen the 4 bolts enough to make the adjustment? My gut tells me to remove it completely, but I'm open to input.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Remove the neck completely. it's easier to work with that way and not all that much harder to put together again.

3. My Goodfellow GB Standard IV is exactly the same and I always remove the neck completely for truss rod adjustment. Not encountered any problems doing so.:) :)

4. Thanks, guys. You validated my thoughts. There's no reason to risk rasping out the screw holes to save 5 minutes.

5. My thoughts exactly.;) ;)