1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removing a brand logo from a headstock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by coso1950, Apr 13, 2009.

1. coso1950

coso1950

Mar 14, 2009
    Split, Croatia
    Any ideas? Graphite neck.

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Depending on the logo, you could just sand it off, then finish the headstock again. Which brand?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i've never once seen that look like anything other than a headstock with a sanded-off logo (unless the whole thing was refinished).

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

+1. Unless you do a refin on the headstock it will look like crap.

5. jamesdudley

jamesdudley

Mar 20, 2009
    London
    Why what is wrong with it? Is it cheap and you want to pass it off as expensive?
    Get chizzle and hammer on him.

6. Pilgrim

Cover it with carefully color-coordinated duct tape?

7. coso1950

coso1950

Mar 14, 2009
    Split, Croatia
    It's a Status.

8. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    isn't status a fancy brand? if it was SX i might understand.

9. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Wow I'm in the same boat. I asked if I could get my neck without a logo. The answer was a polite NO. I love the neck but hate the logo. My solution was to get it profesionally refinished to match my surf green body. A Fender Jazz bass logo will be used instead.

10. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    ...Isn't the point of spending upwards of $600 on a Status Graphite neck to get a Status Graphite neck?

To each his own, but I sure as heck wouldn't sand anything on the neck. As I understand the carbon fiber fabric is only a very thin skin on the foam core of the neck anyway. Wouldn't want to cut through it on accident.

+1 on coating it with a shell color and applying the logo of your choice, if any at all. Actually, that would be pretty cool if you get it done right.

11. Scrape it off with a very sharp blade or a piece of glass, you will get a good finish if you are patient. That's how I did one, I didn't have to refinish afterwards, the decal was on top of the finish. Don't push towards the edge but scrape with a nearly vertical edge.

12. electrical tape covering it?

13. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Ice pick

G

14. Pilgrim

Perfect opportunity for very expensive chainsaw art!

15. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    acetone works wonderful.

16. Pilgrim

With acetone or any strong solvent, it's a good idea to try a TINY test spot somewhere unobtrusive first. You could end up removing more than the decal - if that's what it is.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them what carefully applied solvent will safely remove it.

If they can't help, get on the web and find out about the basic chemistry of carbon fiber necks and solvents. It can't be that hard. :eyebrow:

18. Pilgrim

BEST ANSWER YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't think the manufacturer wants his decal removed

20. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy