removing neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Leftyjames, Jan 9, 2005.

1. hi,
    I just bought a second hand lefty '62 reissue Jazzbass MIJ but the action is far to high for me, I would like to lower it, i've already lowered the saddles but then the high frets buzz, so I should probably change the thing on my trussrod, but I can't get to it.. it's half- hidden in the body. Should I remove the neck completly... ? or how should I do it ?! Is there a safe way to do this, or just unscrew it and just screw it back on ??

2. jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Well, just unscrew it and just screw it back on.
  3. Unscrew, rescrew is the way to go. Old Jazzes (and reissues of those jazzes) have truss rods that can only be accessed if you remove the neck.
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    BTW, it's not necessary to remove the strings. Loosen the strings and use a rubber band or something to secure them (so they won't flop around) at the nut. Unscrew the neck and tilt it up enough to tighten/loosen the truss rod, adjust the truss rod and screw it back together. Make note of how tight the neck screws are when you unscrew them so you can tighten them back the way they were.
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You probably don't have to unscrew it completely. Loosen the screws until you can swing the neck up enough to adjust the truss. Don't force it though.
  6. Bummer having to do all that just to adjust the truss. It's something that has to be done from time to time.

Keep in mind the info at the Gary Willis setup site. If you lower the saddles and get fret buzz at the high frets, you've got too much relief, and you'll need to tighten the truss rod a bit. Since you would be tightening, I would suggest trying about 1/4 turn.. If loosening the truss, I would suggest going with about 1/8 turn. Loosening shows more immediate results sometimes compared to tightening.

Since you'll probably be tightening and removing some relief, you'll have to come UP with all of your saddles. Probably have to do this just to tune up to pitch. Then start adjusting them back down to see if you like the action better.

7. thanks alot, i've just tightned the trussrod bij turning 1/4 colckwise, right ? I suppose I'll have to wait a day or so to get some resluts. I'll keep you up to date

8. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If, after all this, you still have a problem with it, you might consider taking it to a bass mechanic and having a good, complete setup done. This might include shimming the neck.
  9. Jamie, you should have immediate results after tightening (or loosening) the truss. Yes, you tightened it by turning clockwise, which is what it sounds like it needed. Your only problem is knowing if you tightened it enough, and you won't know this until you get the neck bolted back on securely, bridge saddles raised, strings tuned to pitch..
    r379 mentioned a pro setup, and a possible shim under the neck. The shim might be needed if you find the upper fret action seriously high when the lower frets are just right.

Just keep in mind that by adjusting the truss you are NOT setting your action. All you are doing is adjusting the amount of relief in the neck to let the strings ring true. The action might still not be right for you, even after adjusting the saddles, and this is sometimes cured by the neck-pocket shim.

10. Problem solved, thanks guys
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Hey, R379. The Fender "S1" switch won't do you any good unless you have the right pickups to go series-paralell. I'm pretty sure :p
  12. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

I need to remove that (and I'm going to do it now) from my signature because I've decided to do that mod with a mini-toggle anyway. Thanks.