1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoeVictim, May 18, 2011.

1. When removing pups and electronics from a body, does it matter where you unsolder from? best from pot or pup? If I already unsoldered from pup, am I screwed because now something doesn't sound right?

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It is better to desolder from the pots rather than the pups.

1. You can damage the pup. the wires are very small there and the coil could come de-soldered from the wire terminal

2. New pups always have the wires already attached.

3. Sorry to sound like a total noob, but what does this mean? pics?

4. upon further inspection when I wiggle the battery terminal, the pickups get louder then die out. I am going to have to mess with this more later. also, brand new 9V.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What kind of pickup did you under the cable from?

You always leave the cable on the pickup. Did you install new pickups the same way?

It sounds like the battery terminal is bad, or you have a bad solder joint.

6. These are the stock, active MEC pups from my Warwick. The pups were tethered together and heat shrunk with a plastic piece. At the time I was doing a refin and it made more sense to desolder 6 joints rather than 10 or 12 and rip up the heat shrunk connection.

I am going to check out the solder joints when I have time, but I am pretty sure it's got something to do with the battery terminal and it's components.

7. +1.

Desoldering from the pickup is a bad idea.

8. Got everything good to go except I think I messed up the push/pull active/passive switch. Should the little knpob on the bottom touch some ground wires on the bottom?

9. I ended up taking it to a local tech. The schematics I printed from Warwick ended up being so completely different from what was in there. I couldn't figure it out.