1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing spray-paint from tolex.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 18eranaRic, Mar 11, 2009.

1. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    What's the best way to remove a band's stenciled name off tolex? it's white paint, on black tolex. I've seen some bad jobs done where there is like a white swirl left on the cab, and would prefer a restored-to-new look.

ANY other tips on cleaning or restoration?

2. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    spray it over in black

3. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    kidding right?

4. I'd give paint-thinner a try, but test it on a section of unseen tolex first just in case. Be gentle at first, pour some on a rag and wipe the amp with it.

5. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    paint thinner
    +
    dry rag
    +
    damp rag
    +
    dry rag (again)
    =
    PROFIT!!!

6. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Not quite "restoration", but actually not as facetious as it may appear. Very quick, cheap, and easy, and cuts the Gordian knot. Nobody from the audience will be able to tell the difference if the amp is up on stage.

7. jschall84

jschall84

Mar 14, 2007
    fort wayne, in
    Bad MammaJamma
    its not that hard to retolex a cab. good luck.

8. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    Just for the record guys, I won't be spraying over it. It's got to be restored, not hack-jobbed on a saturday afternoon with a few beers and the bbq warming up.
    :rollno:

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    +1
    I've had pretty good luck with mineral spirits.
    Obviously try some on the bottom of the cabinet first but this has worked on Peavy and old Acoustic cabinets.
    Wonder if the swirl marks you saw were from not competlely removing the white stencil paint from in between the rough Tolex surface?

10. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    yes, what i've seen and would like to avoid is like melting the spray-paint then swirling it around, then letting it dry in it's new psychedelia.

Is it a matter of the cloth type, to completely absorb the paint? Anybody?

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    here's my method:
    to remove the old white paint. i would recommend EZ-off oven cleaner. let it soak for about 15-20 minutes, then use a stiff nylon brush to help loosen it, and wipe it off with a terry towel. be sure to do it outside use gloves (it contains lye!)! it should remove ALL of the white paint.

after that, if you want it to look perfect (with a nice even color and sheen), i would recommend using some SEM Products-vinyl prep and satin black vinyl paint. their pro automotive vinyl paints are specifically made for this and chemically bond to it. it will not chip, peel or scratch off and will look like brand new. it is used in the auto industry to change interior colors on vinyl and leather seats, dashboards, etc. Do not buy the vinyl paint by any other company as the rest of them are all crap.

btw, mineral spirits will probably soak in to the vinyl and lossen the glue so i wouldn't recommend them.

12. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Actually recently I removed spray paint from the side of my cab's tolex and I used "Krud Kutter Graffiti Remover" from Wal-mart. It is water-based and to be honest I didn't think it would work at all, but it did! You just spray it on let is sit a little and then I scrubbed it away with a tooth brush...

I found it in the aisle with the paint thinner, etc.

From http://www.krudkutter.com/graffitiremover.asp

The ultimate spray paint graffiti remover.
    A safe alternative to hazardous, solvent-based graffiti removers.
    Removes:
    acrylic, acrylic enamel, aerosol paint, enamel, high gloss, oil lacquers, primers, sealers, semi-gloss, Speed-E-Namels, stain killers, super enamels, urethane enamels, and water-based enamels.
    Effective on most hard, soft, and porous surfaces:
    aluminum, brick, cinder block, concrete, fiberglass, formica, freeway signs, glass, metals & alloys, plastic, plexiglass, street signs, slumpstone, split rock, stainless steel, stucco, tile, terrazzo, vinyl, and more...
    Earth Friendly:
    Water-Based . Biodegradable . Non-Flammable . Non-Toxic . Non-Abrasive
    Available in: 32oz., 1gal., 5gal., 55gal. drum

RELIABLE5292062-2T.

13. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    reminds me of KABOOM by Super oxy-clean.

14. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA

It says "Earth Friendly:
    Water-Based . Biodegradable . Non-Flammable . Non-Toxic . Non-Abrasive", wonder what's in it?

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The good book says, "remove the spray paint from thine own tolex before commenting on the spec on anothers tolex or carpet.":eek::)

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  16. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    OMG That was the BEST! laughing so hard.

17. tdvt

tdvt

Oct 13, 2008
    Vermont
    Brake fluid will also remove spray paint & not harm Tolex.

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have to do the same on a rat fur cabinet. Suggestions?

19. Eucolyptus oil is what we use here in Oz. Works a treat for solvent based spray paint and most adhesives too.

20. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    lov it, break fluid from america, eucolyptus oil from "oz"!