1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removing Treble and Bass pots from a prewired preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Finnigan's wake, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Quite simple. I have a prewired korean preamp (the one installed on the Schecter's low range stilettos), i want to install it on a passive bass but without the two Eq pots.
    How i can cut and solder the three wires (each pot) to have a flat output?
    thanks in advance

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    You're going to need a desoldering pump (solder sucker). Heat the solder that's holding the pots on the board & then suck it off.

41DXkDJcNwL._SX342_.
    I don't really get why you'd want to put a preamp on an instrument if you're going to disable the EQ :confused:

3. hi there
    the board is sealed in some black epoxy stuff, so i have a black box with a lot of wires...

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Ah, that's why photos are usually a good idea in the OP.
    Just put the pots where you want them & install the preamp, assuming it will fit with the pot shafts sticking out of it.

5. For pratical questions: i always play my active bass with flat settings, i need only a little output more

6. No, you can't just cut the pots off of the wires. You must replace the pots with fixed resistors in a balanced pair. If you had 50k pots, for example, then put a 22k resistor between wires 1 and 2, and a 22k resistor between wires 2 and 3.

7. @line6man
    many thanks, as usual, for your tips.
    I wish to make my Fenix bass an active one, but keeping the original, simple wiring. (Volume-Tone-Coil tap)
    This small bass has its unique sound and i love it.
    The preamp should add some definition, please correct me if i'm wrong.

I will add only a switch or push-pull pot as active/passive switch.

8. Cheap preamps usually make things worse, not better. A lower end model may be noisy and/or have poor headroom, or other undesirable things. Make sure that you like this preamp before installing it. It sounds like what you really want (assuming that you wouldn't be better off staying passive) is a simple buffer. You could cobble one together from a few dollars worth of components, or buy any number of pre-made products.

9. @line6man
    this korean preamp is the one installed on the Schecter Stiletto DLX. Is a really good instrument with is own, unique sound and i like it. This preamp worth a try.

Question: instead the SPDT coil tap switch , can i use a blend pot to have a wide range of sounds from a humbucker?

10. edumamare

edumamare

Jul 14, 2010
    DF - Brazil
    So, simply place the pots flat, and store them along with the preamp inside the bass. Connect only the pickups, and the output jack. And also the volume and the blend pots.

Finnigan's wake likes this.
  11. I hope there's enough room to put the stuff inside...

12. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    there's a thread from only a couple of days ago about this. You can replace the pots with a pair of fixed resistors, essentially hard-wiring the controls in place. But I would recommend replacing the pots with trimpots and gluing them inside, probably on the pre itself. this way you can still use them if you want. if you mounted them high enough, you could drill a couple of access holes so you can adjust them with a small screwdriver without having to remove the cover.

Finnigan's wake likes this.
  13. many thanks, pards ;-)