1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RENEW your bass strings! (No boiling, no alcohol)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by itchy, Jun 7, 2014.

1. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    This is such a great, easy trick to restore some brightness and life to your strings.

No boiling, no alcohol, no need to remove the strings from the bass.

(Sorry in advance if this has been posted already.)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Accent on the word "some." Works to a degree, but not like alcohol.

3. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    I can't say this enough but doing this is terrible for Strings. It's gets them new sounding for about 2 days and then they sound muddier than before. I use denatured alcohol and that is the best way to renew brightness in strings IMO. But doing this damages the string wound. I did it with pro steels and a week after doing it they sounded like upright bass strings.

4. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    You really don't need to snap them very hard to achieve the desired effect. Certainly not hard enough to damage the string.
    Of course alcohol will do a more thorough job. But when you need a quick fix...this has worked for me. Haven't had any problems with it.
    Guess YMMV.

5. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    This does work in a pinch. Certainly not something you can do repeatedly, it will weaken the string over time. But I can attest that it does work.

6. Precision101

Precision101

Sep 22, 2013
    It might work at some extent but idk I guess it didn't work for me very well afterwards

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. This has been posted before - I've come to the conclusion the best way to regain new string zing is to replace them. Prosteels are cheap.