Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Renewbie--picking up again after LONG layoff

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by emor, May 18, 2004.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    It's been close to fifteen years since I put the bass away for "awhile". I'm picking it up again with no aspiration other than to have some fun trying to learn and relearn how to play.

I dug out some of my old bass lit, including Ray Brown, Rufus Reid, Carol Kaye, etc., and am trying to work out a program for practicing. I got a copy of Standing in the Shadows of Motown, and really enjoy playing along with the tape (must get the CD version) or the originals, with the transcriptions.

I am wondering if there are other "Music Minus One" titles that anyone could recommend. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    emor

2. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Welcome back to the light !

I recently (about 3 years ago) restarted playing bass after a 20 year lay-off so know how it feels.

There are now a HUGE number of 'Music Minus One' type titles - do a search on this forum under 'playalongs' and you'll have plenty to read !

Ones that I've used have been the Jamie Abersold range (not sure thats spelt correctly), which are mostly jazz and very, very good. I've also used some other titles such as 'Dictionary of Bass Grooves, Blues Bass Method, Rock Bass Method, and there's so many others that I wouldn't know where to start.

Find yourself a good music bookshop (I use musicroom.com, but they're based in Europe) another is bassbooks.com and see what they can offer.

You can also find copies of 'realbooks' or 'fakebooks' online which will give you lots of standards. Again your best bet is tio do a search (try the double bass forum as well).

Enjoy.
    Andy

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    "Playalongs"
    Well, that seems obvious enough...

Thanks for the links. I'm new here and still finding my way around. A great resource.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Welcome!

http://www.bassbooks.com

Search for Finger Funk Workbook. There is Vol 1 and Vol 2. There is no order to the books or the exercises. Vol 2 has TAB, Vol 1 does not. I recommend Vol 2 because I think that I need to be taught the fingering locations as well as the notes. CD included.

This is not a minus one book, it is a great exercise book.

Tim99.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For as lengthy list of Jamey Aebersold play-alongs, go to:

http://www.jazzbooks.com

At the home page you can order the JA catalog which has a comprehensive listing of all JA play-alongs and instruction materials, plus others sold by JA.

You can also purchase JA materials at Amazon.com, but I highly recommend the catalog because it is so thorough and contains very specific information about each product.

Be advised that the AJ selection also offers some selections specifically for bass.