1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repair assesment

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassist1962, Nov 19, 2006.

1. These are a couple of pics of the major repairs needed for my bass. I may be opening a can of worms here, but could any of the luthiers please give me (if possible) an assesment of repair work including price. The one is seam repair of the back near the endpin. The other is the top crack by the tailpiece. The instrument is carved 3/4 German. Let me know if any other info is needed.

2. Thanks Ken. The bass has spent the last 35 - 40 years in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I aquired it in early June of this year. The top crack has been worked on by the previous owner for several years, so I feel that it is time to have a professional look at it. The back seam feels odd to me compared to the rest of the bass. The top and back overlap everywhere else, but this area seems to be even with the ribs. I don't know if this is the way it was built or if it has worked itself into this position. What would you recomend for Tailwire?

3. Thanks Ken. Now I can tell the luthiers in my area what is needed. I will probably still get told to bring it in for an assesment, but I am looking for A ballpark figure right now. Jeff? Arnold? anybody else want to chime in? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    The problem in the tailblock area looks like it could be serious and might require back removal to repair properly. It's kind of hard to tell from your blurry picture. As far as price, it's never good business to give an estimate of repairs before inspecting a bass. There is always more going on inside than you think. My inclination, though, is that Ken's rough estimate above is on the low side.

5. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Where in Georgia?

6. Just north of Cartersville. About halfway between Atlanta and Chatanooga,TN.

7. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    You should contact Emory Clements at emoryclements.com. He does great work!

FWIW
    BG