1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repair quote reality check

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by pjman, Oct 5, 2008.

1. pjman

pjman

Sep 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Hi;

I’ve received a quote to repair my 80+ year old carved Goltz and Mayne DB and am wondering if these estimates are high or average.

Rib cracks: $500 to open + the repairs
    New fingerboard: $850
    Adjustable bridge and installation: $350
    Endpin $135. with aluminum hardware. $175 with brass and steel hardware.

There are other charges of course, but these are the highest costs.

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

pjman

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    It would help if you filled out your profile a little - prices do vary quite a bit from region to region.

Where are you pj?

3. pjman

pjman

Sep 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Done, thanks for the reminder.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If you mean by "open", taking off and putting on the top, $500 is very reasonable. $850 for a fingerboard is also very reasonable (I assume that includes all dressing and set up to your specs. The other prices seem average for Chicago. Are you sure the ribs can't be repaired without removing the top? Might be worth a second opinion.

5. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Thanks peej.

I'd say that from my vantage point those prices are very fair. Just make sure you've got the right repair person before you commit. :)

6. Due to our MISSING and beloved Luthiers, I'd ask if you're very sure the bass has to be opened to fix the cracks.
    There is a very simple and cheap technique for fixing a bass of this quality. Don't want to sound like Kenny, and this is not an insult to your bass. I've come across many of these throughout the years, and they are good basses. However, they are not Testore or Amati..( I love talkin' this **** )
    If the cracks are of a really serious nature, you may have no choice.
    Other than that, I have to agree with Jake...sounds fair. Shop around and ask if the ribs can be done from the outside.
    This thread demonstrates the travesty in the loss of our wonderful Luthiers Corner.
    Best of luck, man.

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've paid more for both bridge and endpin in the past, and considered it well worth the price at the time.

8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    PJ, some close-ups of the ribs etc would give us a better shot at a diagnosis but if they're shredded the repairs will be much better with full access for cleats, patches, clamps etc.

WARMBUTTONS, even lesser basses need to be opened up for repair/renewal now and again, just as lesser humans do! :D

9. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    How about glueing the rib cracks from the outside and using linen strips as reinforcement? Maybe you're getting a price break because of the other work but $500 for top removal seems too cheap. I could see it if were talking about a public school instrument and the shop needs the work. If it's possible I say repair the rib cracks from the outside and wait to take the top off until you've got some other problems to take care care of, as long as the top is coming off anyway.

10. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Having had an old bass rebuilt a couple of times, those prices look pretty reasonable to me. The repairs and subsequent improvement in sound and playability could add to the value of the bass as well.

11. pjman

pjman

Sep 22, 2008
    Chicago
    The bass is at the shop now for estimates. There are a variety of cracks in the ribs. Some have already been repaired, and some have not. Most of these open cracks are at the end of a longer crack that was repaired long ago. What about rubbing glue into the cracks ?

Pjman

12. GOD NO! :crying:

13. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Thanks Paul! :)

14. pjman

pjman

Sep 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Paul;

You said you've come across many of Goltz and Mayne basses over the years. What do you know about Goltz and Mayne ? I've only seen one other reference to them here on the forum and can't find anything else anywhere.

Thanks;

Pjman

15. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA

Hi Paul. I did not realize this forum ever had a luthier's corner. Are you sure about that? And if it had one, how would the moderators decide who is qualified to contribute? I for one am always happy to contribute helpful information on any subject except pricing. Nice to see you posting again!

16. Arnold dear! You ARE right. I'm thinking of Kenny's site. The combination of alcohol, drugs, jazz and old age have taken a toll on my old brain: See my thread under: Miscellaneous...Sad state of affairs TBDB, if you haven't already, for further confusement smug:
    I just had a sense of loss when I came back and didn't see much activity in terms of making, repairs, identifying, and set up. Some of our younger, less experienced players have a problem with knowing the difference between a headstock and a scroll, or a fretboard from a fingerboard.
    I'm just throwing some **** out there to see if anybody grabs. As you know, the more knowledge of our instrument for these people, hopefully,would result in a ritcher and moe active forum.
    With great respect, PW

17. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Ahhh, it's nice to see the "old school" reconvening...and I know about old...

18. Mike, great to hear from you man! :hyper:

19. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nice to see you back bud. Yeah, the noticable absence of 'de boys' could be from a number of different reasons, but the whole "Ken" thing is certainly confusing what with free speech and all. I guess we actually pay for 'free'...

20. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    Sorry to jump into yer conversation, but I think it would be the bee's knees if we had a luthier's corner over here on the dark side like they have over in fudgestick land. Who's with me?:D