Repairing a crack in the top plate

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by lownotes02, Apr 14, 2005.

1. lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Im having a soundpost fitted in an old Mittenwald, and there are two cracks in the top plate. One looks like its been repaired with a (sorry about the wrong terminology) "furring strip" thats about 1/2 inch wide, 1/4 high and runs along the length of the crack. The other crack looks as if its been glued, but with no reinforcement strip underneath. The cracks on the ribs dont look like theyve been touched.

My luthier here said if they dont get bigger, its not a problem, but I think its beyond the scope of his repair skills. I asked him why some guys use cleats and why mine is a big furring strip, and he didnt seem to know.

I will probably truck it up to one of the luthiers in Atlanta and get a second opinion.

Silversorcerer, since you live up that way (I lived in Marietta a few years back) have you used any of the luthiers on Bob G's page? Who would you recommend, or do you do your own repairs?
  2. I will be attempting my own repairs on my Lidyl as soon as my new bass arrives. None of these repairs is as touchy as a top plate crack;- mostly just set-up stuff. The best and oldest bass luthier in Savannah is George Hofer. He may be in retirement or limiting his projects at this point. In some instances he has sent people to Roland Huthmaker in Duluth. Locally, there is Emile Baran in Decatur, who generally has an immigrant luthier or two in his employ. Usually these folks have a good set-up and repair reputation, but the length of tenure there is short sometimes. Some people swear by Ronald Sachs, but I can't personally vouch for him. My teacher, Seth Gamba, lives in Marietta. I've left a message with him and shall see what he says and then I'll PM you after hearing back from him.

Have you spoken with George Hofer?