Reparing A Split On A Laminate Back

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Ric Vice, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Hello,

My Mirecourt Flatback recently lost a piece of the edge along the outside
    of the lower back. So, how can you repair a piece of laminate to prevent
    the issue from getting worse and restore the edge. Thanks for the
    help.
    MIrecourt Back Repair 1.jpg Mirecourt Back Repair 2.jpg Mirecourt Back Repair 3.jpg Mirecourt Back Repair 4.jpg

2. I typically use poplar laminate from a craft store and hide glue.

james condino and MDrost1 like this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Thanks for the information I hadn’t realized that you are a Luthier.:)

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Poplar or maple. Match the grain the best you can. You could position the veneer on the back and scribe a line around the edge and cut to the outside of that line. With a divider, you can create a line and then cut it to fit along the purfling. Use a very sharp knife. Glue and then trim the edge. Sand and match the varnish. The easiest varnish is bullseye shellac mixed with transtint alcohol soluble dye. You can do it.

5. The day I shoot a fingerboard I might call myself a luthier.

Greg’s suggestion is solid. For ease of handling I would try doing a pencil rubbing along the purfling line on parchment paper to get the inside curve right, cut the veneer to match, and cut the outside edge slightly oversize.

Glue and clamp in place, then trim with a sandpaper block. That stuff is thin so it won’t take much.

Finish, ask somebody else.

robobass and Greg Clinkingbeard like this.
  6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    That's the downfall of purfling on a plywood bass. On a carved instrument, it help lessen cracking. On a plywood bass, you essentially saw through half the plys making the thing weaker and more prone to falling apart. I never even consider owning purfled plywood basses just for this reason.....

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  7. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Considering how often I see results where the veneer grabbed something at the edge and ripped along the grain, I have to say sometimes the purfling acts as ripstop and you wind up with less to fix.

A key point I don't think anyone's mentioned here is: don't lose the pieces! Glue them back in and you'll hardly notice the repair.

JeffKissell likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021