1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replace a Sennheiser EW 172 G2 with what?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Johnny Crab, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    OK.
    I've got an expensive piece of space junk after June 10, 2010 since my current wireless will become an outlaw. Been using wireless since the first NADY systems.
    I need to replace the outlawed G2 with the following in mind:

1) MUST be for bass including 5 string(frequency response!)
    2) MUST use AA's and not eat them like candy
    3) Must handle LARGE areas. The 172 does a football field.
    4) The "line of sight" footnote on some brands makes me nervous.
    5) Price is $500 or less.

The 172 G3 A-band should work but it is pinched with what appears to be only one "VACANT" slot in the south Texas/Houston area(TV Channel 22, 518~524 MHz). This concerns me as others may be forced into this one "open-for-now" slot. The 700 band was almost wide open when I got the G2 and it NEVER had a problem. I do not want another expensive(to me) and useless piece of gear.

What would you get and why?

During the day, I'm a BSEE with 20+ years in instrumentation so feel free to use specs & tech-speak. Thanks to everyone in advance for input as I KNOW I'm not the only bassist being hosed by this FCC decision.

JC

2. How about this?

-jb

[BTW, I'm in exactly the same boat... I believe you *can* continue to use your Sennheiser legally, but you have to go online before each event and register your frequency with the FCC!]

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the likelihood of getting arrested for using a wireless with the freqs that are outlawed is quite small. i'd keep using it and not worry about it.

4. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Line 6 G50 (G50 isn't available at many places just yet, but it be will shortly) probably has the range you're looking for, and external antennas (unlike the G30) so you could play with other antennas to increase reception beyond what Line 6 intended. Its 2.4Ghz ISM so its just tracking down the right adapter and you could use some of the higher gain WiFi antennas if you are looking for extreme range. Just don't modify the transmitter and you should be in the clear with the FCC with any other mods you do to the receiver. You could probably also use one of those WiFi-finder devices (or portable device with WiFi like a cell phone) to give you an idea as to how much range you'll have (lots of WiFi, not a lot of range).

As far as continuing to use the G2, they have to prove that YOU were using it and give you at least 1 warning before you'd get any fines (usually). It'd be very easy the first time to just say "I never checked and had no clue, I'm sorry I won't use it again" and you'd be ok. But you're going to get stomped on pretty hard with the digital modes that are primed for the 700Mhz band. Your amp will not like it if the receiver picks up any of that.

IMO: Once you get a digital wireless (X2, G30/50), you'll be ticked off that you ever paid so much for your G2.

5. pbass62

pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    I had a sennheiser EW300 system that was legal but the xmttr went out on me. Instead of investing money into another xmttr for about the same xmttr replacement price I went with a X2 system. If you try one with the external antennas on rcvr you will, like the above post says wish you had tbought one. Tone, frequency response and quality you will not be dissappointed.