1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replace the speaker for old GK 200MB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, May 26, 2011.

1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    hello,
    I have to replace the speaker for my old (1989) GK 200MB.
    what I have to choose:
    -Paragon speaker, according to GK website. they sell on line.
    GK Store: Paragon 12", 100W, 8 Ohm, 37Hz, Bass Driver

-Eminence basslites2012

-Eminence beta 12a
    ???
    thanks,
    Tito.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Tito,
    You should contact Gallien Krueger and purchase a replacement from them directly. Since the 200MB is a sealed box I believe that they have Eminence modify the specs of one of their 12 speakers. Due to heat dispersion, I don't think that you can put a neodymium speaker in that cabinet. The original speaker in your 200MB was built by Pyle who primarily designed speakers for care stereo applications. I'm pretty sure that GK used them because of there experience putting bass speakers into small tight spaces. The Paragon replacement is based on that design. Just my opinion.

Ric

3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As Ric Vice said, get a replacement speaker directly from Gallien Krueger. The other speakers you mentioned are not suitable for use in the extremely small enclosure the 200MB has. Only the GK speaker is designed for this application.

Getting the right speaker from GK is the easy part however. Disassembling and reassembling the the 200MB to replace the speaker is very difficult unfortunately. You may want to take your amp to a professional. At the very least, make sure you reseal all the joints properly and take care not to strip the threads for the screws holding the box together. (The aluminum panels have threaded screw holes that will strip out very easily.)

Good luck!

4. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    thanks.
    Now I order the speaker, and then I'll search a professional.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You can always contact GK customer service and make arrangements to have them do it. The cost should be reasonable and you'll be sure it's done correctly.

6. I sent my late '80's 200 back to the factory for service. New speaker, general maintenance. Cost was reasonable and I'm good to go. Just like new, but with some battle scars. Total including shipping was well under $200. You can't get a new amp for that.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, you can-- just not one you'd want to have! :D

Sounds like you made out well and they really did right by you.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've analyzed the GK design, and have concluded that there is no off-the-shelf speaker that can replace what's in the GK MB combo's. If the problem is that the foam surround is rotted away, that can be fixed with a foam surround repair kit from Parts Express. I've successfully re-foamed the 6.5" speakers in the little GK 250ML amps.

What others have said about disassembling the aluminum box.

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Boom Bloom,
    If you own a 20OMB you have one of the best EQ sections for double bass ever . In fact, they went back to almost the same EQ points when they designed the new MB 200 Head. Just more wattage.

Ric

basmansam likes this.
  10. dylanjohnson likes this.