Replacement AC Adaptor

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

My X-Wire's wall wart STB. It is a 12V, 16W, 1A...... I have another WW for a phone that is 12V, 15W and 830MA. It has the same connector. Will this work without problems??? Thanks., Bob
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It'll be underpowered, may not work. Less power overall so it shouldn't short anything if the polarity is right. Best bet is to get an exact replacement, don't use something around the house.

However, not an effect, so off to misc.
  3. Rockbobmel

Sorry, I forgot. Thanks
  4. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    It is my understanding that Visual Sound makes a higher output (1.7A) wallwart that might be appropriate. Their normal product, the OneSpot, is rated at 1A and may/may not be sufficient.

I'm trying to get more info as it isn't listed on their website.

5. Rockbobmel

Thanks Eric,
    The adaptor that came with it is a "Condor" 1A. I don't know if it is an original. Is the site still running?
  6. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Their website is and the wireless powersupply is a new product that will power up to five wireless units with their optional multiplug. (I'm a wholesale rep and the product is new enough I just received my brochures today.)

7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    For reference sake, have a look at the EBS website. They have an adaptor that I use that is capable of running 4-5 pedals at once with a daisy chain. It's an interesting adaptor in that it is unusually light weight and can be run on 110v or 240v. There is no hum from it when hear cables. It's pricey, but does the trick really well. I'm sure their are cheaper alternatives when you are.

Good luck.
  8. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA

I just got off the phone with our rep regarding the wireless power supply. Wireless units are 12v instead of 9v for stomp boxes. Apparently, stomp boxes tend to have a center negative barrell as opposed to center positive for wireless units. Our product availability will be limited for a while, which may not help you in the near future.

I would agree EBS does make a nice pedal adaptor, as does Voodoo Labs and I believe Godlyke distributes one as well. For stomp boxes, these should all do well.

How much does X-Wire want for a replacement supply?
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

As far as the current goes you need to have an adaptor that is equal to or higher than the current called for. So if the adaptor that came with it was 800ma for example, you could use an adaptor with equiavalent voltage and an amperage that is 800 or higher. So you could use one that is 800ma or 2000ma and it would be fine. However it's not good to use one that's lower than that because it's not allowing the appropriate amount of current through.

brad cook
  10. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

I would think you could pick one up at your local RadioShack
  11. Rockbobmel

Thanks. The one I found was an 830MA and the X-wire wants a 1A. I could get one at RadioShack for $19. But I thought I could use this one. The wire is pulled from the old one and I can't get apart to splice it.