1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement bridge for an Essex

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OneMan, Mar 25, 2009.

1. I'd like to replace the stock bridge on an Essex 5 str fretless Jazz Bass.
    Any idea what will fit directly without drilling any holes? The bridge has 8 screws in it. Thanks!

2. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    Hi OneMan,

done replacement bridges many, many times...

but I doubt you are going to find a bridge that'll mount using
    the existing holes (I never have). Are you nervous about
    drilling new?

Just did this on an SX that I modded. It was an LTD bridge
    that I wasn't replacing, but just moving a bit to get more
    adjustment range for intonation, and it went well.

Dave

3. yeah ... kinda nervous. i just need wider string spacing. the stock bridge feels like it's about 17mm. 19mm suits me much better.
    i'm not sure where to begin to measure it up ... the saddles maybe?

4. I'm pretty sure the SX 5 string spacing is 16mm - on mine it actually measures out a bit less than that. I'm not sure if 19mm will work... going to be real close to the edge of the fretboard if it does.

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Here you go: http://www.buzzardsbass.com/parts/bridges/sx.html

A complete page of SX-specific bridges. You'll want to check out the OEM Deluxe bridges. It's made by the same company that supplier Gotoh. Brian (owner), informed me that they are triple-plated chrome and a very solid bridge (basically a Gotoh 201). He told me he sells tons of them & has used several on his personal basses. I was also informed that the mounting holes for the bridge line up with the existing SX Jazz bass bridge holes - they are also the same existing string spacing as the stock SX Jazz Bass bridge. I'll be ordering a couple myself this week for my two SJB-75's (5-strings). :cool: