1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacement bridge pickup on G&L sb2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shaboda, May 13, 2010.

1. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    i just got my old G&L SB2 back.... and the bridge pickup has ALWAYS been SO thin/weak.....what are my replacement options? Any Ideas?

2. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    The bridge pickup on an SB-2 is so close to the bridge that sounding thin is unavoidable. It isn't meant to be soloed, it's there to add tonal variety to the neck pickup.

3. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    there HAS to be a better replacement out there. It's EXTREMELY low in output.

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I just saw your other thread about getting this bass back... maybe there's a problem with the pickup itself? On my SB-2 the pickup's output isn't low, it's just really thin sounding on its own.

5. shaboda

shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    Its funny cuz It was really low when I bought it new - But I was 19, and didnt know any better --- so I sold it :) It's always been weird even when i had it in new baqck in the day..does bartolini or norstrand make one that will fit?

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    This was covered a couple times in the past on the G&L Forums- I don't believe there exists a direct aftermarket replacement, however the pickups that were used in the 1st generation SB-2s and Interceptors (the ones with two of the soapbar single coils) are apparently wound much hotter than the standard bridge pickup in the newer SB-2s (despite them looking identical). Tracking down one of these older pickups might be quite a feat, though they do show up on Ebay occasionally. I was intrigued by the idea of the Nordstrand Big Single or Big Split, but they would require some routing...

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You might be able to send it to Lindy Fralin, who could give it an overwind for more output. I've thought about asking him to create a linear humbucking replacement for my SB-2's bridge pickup (like his Split-Jazz pickups I simply LOVE in my J), but I rarely use that pickup so it wouldn't be worth the expense.

8. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That was basically my feeling when I still had my SB-2 (wish I had never sold it, by the way!). I DID use the bridge pickup, but only to vary the character of the P pickup- considering the amazing tones I got with that effect, I didn't want to mess with anything that could risk losing them!

In other words, try to appreciate the bridge pickup first in the way it was intended- blended in with the neck pickup to create characteristic tones that the average P-bass is not capable of. If you find a true "PJ" bass is what you really want from your SB-2 (ie- the ability to solo the bridge pickup as well), only then should you look into modifying it. I ended up really coming to appreciate my SB-2 for the unique animal it was!

Karl

9. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Running into the same issue. Love this SB-2, but really want to solo the jazz, but it is so weak and I want the noise gone. I was hoping the Nordstrand's would fit :crying:

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    One thing I never considered was possibly just putting a Jazz pickup into the housing for the current bridge pickup- the holes for the polepieces might even line up, and you could put some sort of foam or something in there to keep it tight in the case. If you have a Jazz bass on hand you could measure and see if that might work...I can't remember off hand if the SB-2 pickup was longer or shorter than a Jazz pickup.

11. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Interesting idea...anyone able to do this?

12. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Curious again!

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i don't think G&L MFD pickup housings are removable.

14. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    They are just held on by a couple dabs of epoxy- I have removed a couple on some MFDs that I picked up from a T'Ber years ago.

15. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I think I am going to get a Nordstrand Big Single and just widen the slot to fit it. What do you guys think?

16. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sounds like a great idea to me as long as you route it cleanly! I'm fairly sure that the Norstrand is longer than the SB-2 pickup, but you might want to make sure before proceeding.

17. krovx

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    The Nordstrand isn't longer, but it is about .17" wider.

18. Did you end up getting the Nordy?

19. rubendlr

rubendlr

Mar 10, 2012
    Austin, TX, USA
    Hate to raise a thread from the dead, but what ever happened here, Shaboda? Did you get that Nordstrand in there? Does anyone have the exact specs on the SB-2's bridge pickup? If the specs are close enough, maybe you could try a Carvin H50AS? It's the same size as a Bartolini P2, which of course would also be an option, just that the Carvin pu is much cheaper.

20. OzanOner

OzanOner

Feb 28, 2013
    Istanbul
    Hi TBers,

I really love to play my SB2 (30th anniversary white/ebony) but i'm not happy with the hum i get when going direct to desk. I have all kinds of DI's but sometimes it's tiring to convince a sound man that this is a great bass with great sound. If anybody has any ideas about a replacement bridge pickup i would like to hear more.

I am also thinking about installing a tone control. I need constant volume on the stage but with SB2 it's really hard because of the way it's designed. The only way i could achieve darker tones is by decreasing the volume. Also the only way to use both pickups in different level settings is to lower both volume knobs. It's really not user friendly in my opinion but the results are worth it.

If i had a tone knob i could use both pickups %100 and use the tone to tame the extreme highs when i need to, or i could solo the P pickup and get some classic sounds by cutting the tone. There are 2 holes for 2 pots so i'm thinking about 1 concentric pot for 2 volumes and 1 standard tone pot.

Does anybody have any ideas about what kind of pots i should try or if it's really worth it at all?