1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement for DiMarzio model P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cstof, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Cstof

Cstof

Aug 27, 2008
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm looking for an upgrade for the DiMarzio modelP pickups in my 70's precision.

I'm curious to hear your personal experience with any Pbass pickups worth considering.

Sound i'm looking for is more vintage and round than modern (bright or hot).

I play without a pick and am considering putting flats on.
    I'm looking for a pickup that will work with this setup.

Style is jazz and light rock.

Thanks

2. Cstof

Cstof

Aug 27, 2008
    Antwerp, Belgium
    On another dutch forum, people suggested the S Duncan Antiquity pickups.

Does anyone have any experience with these (versus the DiMarzios, maybe) ?

Thanx

3. Meandmy74

Meandmy74

Jul 26, 2008
    I have some Nordstrand np4's in my CIJ '62 re-issue precision. Great pickups for exactly what you are describing - vintage tones. They have tight lows and remain clear across each string and really keep the bass pushing through a mix containing two guitars and drums. Others rate Lindy Fralin's precision pups as well for their vintage tone. I have Fralins in my 74 jazz bass (replaced DiMarzios which were in it when I got my hands on it) and they will never come out, but I can't comment on the p pups as I haven't heard them.

Check out blueberryhillbass.com for info on the Nordstrands, as well as a good article comparing production of Nordstrand and Fralins. Go to the blog section and search for "Fralin".

I am sure there is plenty of info here on precision pups and other Tbers who have been here longer may be able to point you to other threads.

And finally, for what it's worth, not being from the US like you I purchase online from Brian at bestbassgear.com Great, reliable international service and he carries a solid range of pups.

Hope that helps but I'm sure others can be of more help!

4. Cstof

Cstof

Aug 27, 2008
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanx!
    The Nordstrands look very good indeed.
    I'l look around a bit and do a search on TB for opinions and reviews.