Replacement nut for strap locks...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MisterSkimpy, Sep 7, 2005.

1. MisterSkimpy

Dec 21, 2004
    I own a Fender Jazz and recently the nut for my strap lock fell off (not the washer, but the part that screws on to hold it in place). I decided that rather than drop 15 bucks for a new strap lock, I would just go to the hardware store and buy another nut to replace it. But the guy at the store told me he couldn't find a suitable replacement, he said the nut was some sort of metric one that they couldn't replace.

So.....I wanted to know if anybody else has had the same thing happen with their straplock and, if so, how they managed to replace it. I really don't feel like spending the equivalent of a new set of strings on a 10 cent piece of metal. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks...
  2. yeah the same thing happened to me. when i bought my spector second hand, it came with straplocks, but one of them was missing the nut and washer. i recently found out that stewmac sells them individually.. 60 cents for the nut..

here ya go tiger..

mind you they're for the schaller type strap locks. don't know what you've got.

good luck!
  3. MisterSkimpy

Dec 21, 2004
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  4. I'm sure you'll have to order more than a $.60 nut. They have a minimum order.
  5. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    For some reason, this link isn't showing any Schaller nuts/washers for sale. I also searched the site, but couldn't find them. Anyone know somewhere else I can find these parts? I don't want to buy a whole new set when all I need is the nut/washer.

6. homsar

Oct 30, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I am also having this problem. I think the Schaller strap locks might be threaded 3/8" x 32 so that you can use the same nuts that are used to fasten knobs and jacks. Does anyone know whether or not this will work?

BTW I have been looking all over the Stew-Mac site; it looks like they do not sell individual replacement nuts for strap locks anymore...
  7. Hi.

The package of my 1446s'

M10*0,75 (-ish)

The OD of the threaded portion is 9.80mm (0.3855") slightly too small for that thread IMO as an engineer ;). The pitch is probably 34 tpi as both 32 & 36 on my gauge wouldn't fit.

As where to get them, Radio Shack or some other place like that, those are used in metric electrical appliances: switches, knobs, panel lights etc.

If You'd live nearer, I'd send You a few.

8. homsar

Oct 30, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I agree with M10x0.75. By chance I ran into a technician in our building shortly after I posted who had a metric thread gauge and we measured the thread on the strap lock. The thread pitch is definitely 0.75. We also tried threading a 3/8"-32 control nut on the post and (no surprise) that does NOT work.

Stew-Mac is selling bags of M8x0.75 mounting nuts. I sent them a note to make sure they really didn't mean M10x0.75. Hopefully it's the latter. I would buy a bag of those things and use 2 as jam nuts on each strap lock post. It's not uncommon for those nuts to loosen up and that seems like a good way to make them stay put.
  9. milothefultz

Nov 29, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Any word back on this? I need to fix my strap, kthxbai.
  10. Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Same thing happened to me yesterday! Found two old Schaller strap locks both missing the nuts. Thought I would just hit the hardware store and piece of cake. After two days of reading here and all over the net, these M10 x .75 nuts are next to impossible to get. I did find that has 2 nuts/2 washers for $5.50 and $7.00 shipping. Wasn't worth it to me. I spent a good while with an old guy at the store trying every nut known to him. He said re-cut it to a known size with a "die" and that was an option. I didn't have them with me, but only an old nut that I still use. SO, here's a cheap fix for ya. Get a "fender washer" at the local hardware that will go over the Schaller stem/stud. Put strap on button, then washer, then fasten the nut-less connection over it. Ain't beautiful, but will lock it in place for like .50 instead of $15.00. To be honest, Schallers are a pain in the ass really. If you don't have to remove your strap, I use washers on all my regular strap buttons. I was simply trying to use the Schallers since a bass I just got had the Schaller pins in the bass itself. I end up rigging all of them one way or another.
  11. Wow I just got an email from TB saying someone replied to this thread... No wonder that link didn't work, I posted that nearly 5 years ago! Looking at the dates it seems it's had a few revivals:)

Good luck with the search! Sorry I don't have any actual helpful comments to add..
  12. And another one. I'm trying to find the missing nuts as well.

It's driving me nuts (sorry).

Anyone has a solution by now?
  13. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004

Frustrated at Lowes... couldn't find a washer & nut that worked M10 or 7/16th... thread was off as well. :dead:

Back to installing Dunlops
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    First of all, you must tighten your strap lock nuts if you don't want to lose them. Fender put strap locks on the US J Plus I bought in the early 90's. I put them on a strap the day I brought the bass home and after all these years of use I've never had one come loose. I've got several other sets in use on several other basses and have never had one come loose. I don't use any kind of Loctite, I just tighten the nuts down enough they don't come off.

Plenty of other people use them with no problems because they also tighten them enough to keep them from coming off.

The trick is to get a good grip on the back side of the lock, you can't hold it with your fingers and get it tight enough. I use a small set of vicegrips to hold the back side and a four inch adjustable wrench I keep in my equipment bag to tighten the nut. A proper box or open end wrench would do as well I just had my bag handy and everything I needed in it to install and properly tighten the nuts on my strap locks so I did it at the kitchen table rather than take everything out to the shop to do the same thing.

Also, I can't find an M10x.75 nut of any kind. I've found plenty M10x1.5 and M10x1.25 although the only low profile (thin) nuts I've found in M10 are 1.5 pitch.

Attached Files:

15. bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    I also have the same problem, and I think when you buy the strap locks, they should come with a couple of extra washers and nuts.
    anyway 7.50 + shipping whatever it is, i think Ill just buy new ones.
  16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass What the .............. Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    You guys must be using Schaller straplocks. That's why I use Dunlops...

Oh snap... this is a zombie thread.....
  17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009

anyway yeah, the schaller lock nuts are like the rarest, most impossible to find thread size ever. you'll never see it at any hardware store, and there's no other MI repair part i've ever seen, metric or not, that fits.

also, the fix in the first place is a tiny bit of mild loctite! you can crank 'em down with a wrench all day long, but they're clamping onto a soft strap, which will eventually compress enough to loosen the nut's hold.
  18. bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Buy Dunlops. Do it to teach the dummies at Schaller to supply spare parts for things that are always falling off.
  19. bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    I normally use Dunlops,but this bass came already with shaller.
    love the fact that with Dunlops, if you loose the locking part, you can still use any strap.
    I finally found the parts in my car, I might use nail polish so the nut doesn't come off.