Replacement Strings for my Epiphone Thunderbird Pro V 5-String Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MrDaggger, Dec 29, 2017.

1. MrDaggger

MrDaggger

Dec 29, 2017
    Hey All,

Anyone who plays this bass, have you had problems with the low B-string (gauge 125, 130, or 135), fitting through bridge channel?

Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-V Bass

I just bought the bass used and went to Guitar Center to buy a new set of strings. Buy a new bass, install new strings.

The guitar repair tech and I tried every set of strings in the store (11 sets/6 manufacturers) attempting to get a B-string that fits through the "thread through channel" at the bridge. The issue is the finishing wind on the string is too thick to fit through the channel, so I CAN thread the whole string through but, once I hit the last 2 inches of the string it gets hung up.

I have several aggressive options such as filing out the channel to widen it, but if someone, who uses this actual model bass, has a recommendation that doesn't require guitar modification, I would love to hear it. It's not like the guitar is super rare, and I called Gibson customer service and they've never heard of the problem, so there has to be a solution.

Thanks,
    MrDaggger

2. MrDaggger

MrDaggger

Dec 29, 2017
    I'm bumping the thread in hopes someone sees it.

3. Graza

Graza

Jan 26, 2018
    I recently bought the same bass, but haven't replaced the strings yet due to a different bridge issue. For some reason the previous owner replaced one of the saddles with a Gotoh-style saddle (just a bulkier version of the cylindrical fender precision saddles), and I want to get a new saddle before replacing strings. For the life of me, I can't find any info about this bridge at all! So no luck with saddles as a result.

My mid-late nineties Cort 5 string fretless has an almost identical bridge (baseplate is identical from what I can tell, the only difference us the saddles dont have those silver bits in them), but still no info to be found.

I have however had similar issues to you with the B string. Currently I have an Elixir 135 in there, which was a bit of a pain, but did go in. Prior to that its been 10 years since I changed strings (went overseas, left bass behind), and I can't recall if I filed it out. I may have - perhaps not the slot though, just the hole, so I thread the strings through rather than slotting them in (if that makes sense?).

I also used to use something similar to the Rotosound PSD 99's. These have a much narrower string end on the ball-end, the narrower bit also going over the saddle. I recall them actually being pretty nice sounding & feeling strings too. Something like that would fit without any bridge modifications. Just search for the above or "piano style" strings.

4. Doncarranga

Doncarranga

Jun 1, 2019
    Hey! Same issue here!. I tried several different options for strings. I got Ernie Ball Super Slinky Bass 5 and the B string (125) fit; however, when I replaced them the second time with another set of the same strings, it didn't! I guess no 2 sets of strings are exactly the same. I have been playing my bass with the B string on that awkward position since. I plan to replace the current set of strings soon, and will again buy the same. Try my luck. If you get a better solution, please let us know!

5. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Hey, sorry to revive a dead thread but I hope this helps. I used a super heavy gauge of DRs, 50-130, and those seem to fit nicely.

6. Rob Willox

Rob Willox

Jan 28, 2021
    North East
    Actually thanks I needed this info!