1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Woofers for SWR Goliath II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by acmebass, Oct 16, 2013.

1. acmebass

acmebass Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Englewood, CO
    Owner/Designer, Acme Sound/Acme Low B
    A local backline company asked me what woofers would be good replacements for the blown ones in their Goliath cab. Apparently you can't get the genuine ones anymore.

Anybody have a good recommendation?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Mmmmmmm, an Acme 8x10 now there's an idea for you!! :D

If the volume of the cab is anywhere near the size of the Ampeg fridge then the 32Ω drivers various manufactures have come up with should work reasonably well. Total load 4Ω. Sorry I can't help you more Andy.

Edit: I make mistake, I thought the Goliath was their 8x10. Still the response is valid if the Goliath is half the volume of the fridge. 8Ω resultant load.

Here's me talking drivers and cabinets to Andy Lewis who designed my favourite speaker cabinets. DOH! What WAS I thinking!!! :D

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The PAS drivers basic characteristics might be surmised from the standard gII blurb:

Goliath II

The first upgrade to our original 4x10, featuring a redesigned crossover, input panel, and 10" driver, greater power handling capacity (500 Watts RMS), and upgraded construction techniques and materials. Impedance: 8 ohms @ 600 Hz
Power Handling Capacity: 500 Watts RMS
Sensitivity: 103 dB SPL @ 1W1M
Frequency Response: -6dB @ 40 Hz and 12KHz
Safe Excursion Limits: 400 Watts continuous sine wave @ 40 Hz, 56V in @ 8 ohms.
Size: 23" W x 23" H x 18 1/2" D
Weight: 90 lbs.
    Production Period: 1990 to 1996

4x10" - Impedance: 8 ohms @ 600 Hz - Power Handling Capacity: 700 Watts Continuous Program, 500 Watts RMS continuous pink noise, 40 Hz to 10K Hz, 8 hours - sensitivity: 103 dB SPL @ 1W1M - Frequency Response: -6dB @ 40 Hz and 12KHz.

4. acmebass

acmebass Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Englewood, CO
    Owner/Designer, Acme Sound/Acme Low B
    I'm hoping to get lucky, and just have somebody name a woofer for me that works.

I'll stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Andy

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140