1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacing a neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by brentonkim, Apr 16, 2010.

1. brentonkim

brentonkim

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    So, basically, my headstock broke, resulting in me having to buy a replacement neck, which I did. It's a Spector Q5, and a bolt-on, so this is my question

Simply, to install the neck, do I just put it in, bolt it back in, adjust the truss rod, install the tuners, or is there more to it?

2. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    First question: is it a Spector replacement neck or something made specifically for a Q5? Most aftermarket necks fit Fenders and not much else.

If the answer to that is 'yes', then you're right. Take care to align the neck properly so as to keep your strings centered on it. You'll likely need to have the nut slots adjusted (or nut installed.)

good luck!

3. brentonkim

brentonkim

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks a bunch!
    yes, it is meant for my Q5, haha, I'm not that clueless. :p

Thanks!

4. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    Sure. If your neck screw holes aren't drilled in the neck I'd suggest installing the outside strings and using them to figure out how you want the neck positioned. You can then clamp the neck in place and drill your screw holes. The rest is just setup work.