Replacing Input jack on Brice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by xolin, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Hey, this is following up another post wherein I had really bad scratchy noise problems when I moved sometimes with this bass (and it wasnt the cable). I cleaned the jack, but it did nothing, i figure it just moves around too much near the end (its cylindrical looking). It looks very easy to replace, but I don't have soldering tools.

Where would I go to find the correct replacement+get it replaced? (if music store, then I'd prob get a setup, too).

Thanks a lot,
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    There are a couple of jacks being commonly used. One of which is called a closed jack, which must be replaced
    if the contacts get loose. The other is an open jack and sometimes you can carefully rebend the contacts and get some more life out of it.

For what it will cost you in a repair shop, you can buy a very servicable iron and all the supplies. An enjoyable hour spent learning to solder scrap wires together and you'll never need another repair shops services. If you play bass the rest of your life, you may have to replace a bunch of jacks, volume/ tone controls and pups.
  3. Well. I dont kow which is mine, but even if its the open jack, it looks easy to replace. And rebending contacts isnt the problem, it works fine, but sometimes the tip of the cable gets wiggled (although it is firmly secured in the jack) a little bit and makes a loud crackling noise. I dont even notice the movement and when I wiggle it my self furiously it sometimes doesnt do it (but even with the slightest move of the body it might happen every once in a while). Its annoying, and I think maybe another jack would be good. If i get the iron +solder, i still need to buy a jack, so where (for both)?
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You may have to get the soldering iron at Radio Shack and your jack at a music store. The jack should be no more than around ten bucks in a music store. The soldering iron and a roll of solder along with a couple of alligator clips to use for heat sinks should be no more than twenty five bucks or so at R.S.

If you can't see the plug through the sides of the jack, it's a closed jack. Closed jacks are encased in black plastic.

An open jack has all the plug and contacts visible through its skeleton like sides.

In any case carry you old jack with you and just match it up.

Harrell S.
  5. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound

Have you tried an entirely different cable? Some cables go bad in the cable itself (not the ends) causing crackle, hum, buzz, etc. When you move, the cable moves (not neccessarily the plug). If your jack is tight, try another cable first.
  6. I've replaced mono jacks like come in passive basses with a stereo jack (I guess they call this a TRS jack now). You would wire it like a regular mono jack. The extra prong is used as additional weight to press against the shaft of the plug and keep it from wiggling or coming out.

And Harrell is right. Learning to solder is a fun thing to do.
  7. I tried the cable with a friends problems at all (new cable, btw)

My jack is in the side of the bass, and when I open the back panel I can see it and the wires soldered to it running to the rest of the circuitry. Its a korean bass, so its just basic wiring, and made by parts anyway. It looks like if its loosened it can slide right out, but I'll double check. I can always ask the guy im buying the new one from

Thanks a lot for the advice so far!
  8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California

I was just curious if you got this problem resolved, because I am having the same problem with my brice. I have the same problem you are talking about so I replaced the input jack and I'm still having the same problem.
  9. I actually haven't had time (I got my new brice douglas with a diff. jack and havent been playing the sixer lately). I do know that the problem is actually with the style of jack as it is cylindrical and not well designed. I will be going to my music store when iget the funds and see if they can install a different type of jack or any other suggestions...I'll get back to you afterwards or you can do the same. It is a bitch of a problem live when it happens...although rare.
  10. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Are you using Planet Waves cables? They have a reputation of screwing up jacks.
  11. Im not sure actually. I used some coiled cables initially whichdid it a lot more. The new cable i have does it less and is straight, black with some bend protection at the ends.